Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

Hmm, interesting grey area.  I have no experience in this field.  They're not physical, are they consumables to DAWs like strings are to basses?  Honestly, make your own mind up and if you think they don't count then don't bother reporting them.  I'll add you the noo.

VSTs are in the signal chain,  like a new synth, pedal or hardware compressor would be.  Probably a tier 2 fail?

That will be me out then, as no doubt I'll be buying more VSTs :on_the_quiet:

12 minutes ago, Richard R said:

That's only my view, you can appeal to @neepheid.

I'm not the ultimate arbiter of this endeavour, I'm just keeping records.  I've already offered my tuppence worth in this particular justification/appeal/enquiry/whatif, and it is no more valuable than anyone else's.  It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Edited by neepheid

10 minutes ago, Richard R said:

How about borrowing something (in this case a drum pad) on long-term loan?  I think it's a fail as I don't actually need it...

I don't think loans count.  It's not yours at the end of the day.  Also, it's a drum pad - on a tier 1 level (bass gear only) who cares?  Would only be of concern to people going hardcore, zero music gear of any kind.

TL:DR, I don't think you're out because you borrowed a drum pad.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, 2pods said:

That will be me out then, as no doubt I'll be buying more VSTs :on_the_quiet:

If you want to declare yourself out because of VSTs then that's your call, ultimately you will have decided that VSTs count as gear, and bass gear specifically.

• Like 1

How far down the rabbit hole you want to go is entirely up to you.  I bought rubber feet this month to complete my pedalboard project.  Am I out because I bought something which got attached to something which is used to house something that is gear?

No, no I'm not.  That's maybe a silly example, but perhaps illustrates how easy it is to overthink things.

8 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's just a bit of fun at the end of the day.

Oh yes, but half the fun is arguing the edge cases. Especially when that distracts from

(whispers... actually practicing...)

• Haha 2

Just now, Richard R said:

Oh yes, but half the fun is arguing the edge cases. Especially when that distracts from

Excellent, replaced one distraction with another :D

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Right, I have got another one for you then :D

An audio interface. Bought for the purpose of online lessons.

Tier 1 failure? Tier 2 failure? Does it change if it is used for something else?

4 minutes ago, Paolo85 said:

Right, I have got another one for you then :D

An audio interface. Bought for the purpose of online lessons.

Tier 1 failure? Tier 2 failure? Does it change if it is used for something else?

IMO (as that's all it is) - Tier 2 failure, it's gear.  Doesn't matter what it's for.  That's the hardcore level.  On the basic, bassy tier 1 level, you'd still be in.

• Like 1

I agree it's a T2 fail, but you don't have to sign up for the T2 hardcore/hairshirt version.  I'm not.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the lesssons, I could do with some technique lessons and there are more tutors. on-line in person these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I agree it's a T2 fail, but you don't have to sign up for the T2 hardcore/hairshirt version.  I'm not.

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the lesssons, I could do with some technique lessons and there are more tutors. on-line in person these days.

I am ashamed to say it will be guitar lessons!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Sadly that is correct. For about 8 months now, I am a picky bugger as well.

You are very welcome to borrow my #2, but I suspect a 5 string bass currently residing  in Birmingham with a partially jammed truss rod isn't going to be much good to you.

PM me if it is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Quilly said:

That's funny 😂

I almost survived last year. I see no reason why this year can’t be that one step better 🤓

(Best not to mention I’m in Bournemouth this weekend so will be heading to Absolute Music to try out the Sandberg Lionel they have on sale…..)

4 minutes ago, Merton said:

I almost survived last year. I see no reason why this year can’t be that one step better 🤓

(Best not to mention I’m in Bournemouth this weekend so will be heading to Absolute Music to try out the Sandberg Lionel they have on sale…..)

Once you try a Sandberg you're in trouble. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Quilly said:

Once you try a Sandberg you're in trouble. 

Thankfully my bank balance will not allow a purchase unless I sell things. Not sure I have anything I want to sell at the moment, unless anyone needs a kidney?

Just now, Merton said:

Thankfully my bank balance will not allow a purchase unless I sell things. Not sure I have anything I want to sell at the moment, unless anyone needs a kidney?

Jan is a bad time to try and sell anything, I was trying to sell a pristine P bass and no bites at all....which I'm slightly relieved by as its a cracker of a bass. 

Not sure what level of abstinence this infringes, but I've just bought a second-hand guitar strap - OK its advertised as a bass strap, but I reckon its really a guitar strap in disguise. Mea culpa, I didn't even flinch as I sent off the payment. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Suburban Man said:

Not sure what level of abstinence this infringes, but I've just bought a second-hand guitar strap - OK its advertised as a bass strap, but I reckon its really a guitar strap in disguise. Mea culpa, I didn't even flinch as I sent off the payment. 

To me this classifies as a "consumable" or "accessory" and not "gear" as such, now if it was diamond encrusted or made from something exotic like snakeskin you might be pushing your luck!  ...but I don't make the rules.. 

Edited by Quilly

I don't make the rules either, they're by consensus.  Re: straps - pretty generic accessories, I don't think I'd fail someone at Tier 1 for buying a strap - Tier 2, more likely, unless you're replacing a broken strap.