Why become a member? ×

The very lightest tuners (for a Stingray) - advice please

Woodwind

Done various searches here, but haven't found anything definitive.

As part of the 2024 refresh of my instrument I'm looking to get as much load off my left arm as possible and want to get the neck on my stingray sitting neutrally - currently it has very slow neck dive.

I'd like to fit the very lightest tuners I can.

Gotoh resolites seem to the the lightest, but don't really know where to source these in the uk - couple of sets show up on eBay.uk

I'm not super worried about retaining the clover leaf look and have no problem machining bushings from aluminium, titanium or delrin at work so I'd like to hear from Basschatters who have fitted light weight tuners.

Cheers

My Squier jazz has alloy tuners. It made a huge difference to the weight. I believe they're Hipshot Ultralights but they don't have the Hipshot logo on so maybe copies. Sadly I can't help with sourcing them - my guitar technician had a second hand set in her workshop. But I would recommend that style - from a post I made on another bass forum it saved 6.5oz on the headstock.

Edited by Rosie C
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, itu said:

My goodness me!

Thanks for the heads up on the CBT01 itu!

35.3 grams each for those.

£200plus a set

Gotoh 640

61.8g each

£105+10 from Thomman.

I'll pull out one of my existing tuners at the weekend and see how much it weighs to gauge whether going the carbon route is necessary.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rosie C said:

My Squier jazz has alloy tuners. It made a huge difference to the weight. I believe they're Hipshot Ultralights 

It's something I've been meaning to do for years. Glad to hear you really benefitted from it.

Ultralights are definitely on my radar as well.

Well I couldn't wait until I have access to decent scales at the weekend so used the kitchen scales just now.

Current tuners are 84grams each, so a total of 336grams.

The bass balances better with only 3 tuners on so at a minimum I need a saving of at least 84 grams.

A set of Gotoh 640s would come in at 248grams (from their published weight), which is 88grams lighter.

I might have a look at ways to get some extra weight off the headstock as well...

• Like 1

Remember, you are on the same road where I was with my road bike: Carbon frame, fork, crank, shifters, derailleur, rear axle, bottom bracket cover, handle bar, seat post, saddle, pedals, shoes, pump... I was after a carbon wheelset, and even chainrings, but by then my bank account had dried off. Once I measured myself, and I had only 7 % of fat in me. It was actually too little, only my bike had less... And those were the days.

If you want to remove wood from the back of the headstock, consider making it slightly thinner. Then the shape stays the same. You can remove a lot if you replace it partly with... CF.

• Like 1

The Hipshot Licensed Ultralite machine heads are significantly cheaper than the US made equivalent and are on Hipshots own website - so they are a genuinely approved model. 

I've never had any issues with them and those are what I would fit on my own basses nowadays.

Check whether you need 1/2" or 3/8" and also be aware that, as far as I remember, they are not reversible, so make sure you order the right way round, especially if it's a 5-stringer.

• Like 2

I got a set of Hipshot Ultralite (USA) lollipop style tuners for my Vintera 60s Mustang bass a few weeks ago from Bass Direct for about £120. They are much lighter than the standard Hipshot ones that came fitted.

I emailed them first to check the best ones to get. They have the licensed Hipshot ones from £19.50 per machine.
I also got a set of fender Infinity Straplocks as these move the strap about 1.5 cm towards the 12th fret.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 30/12/2023 at 14:38, ikay said:

Is this tuner weight for a new Stingray Special or an old style Stingray?

First edition Sterling Ray34.

I'm sure Musicman tuners from the same period will be a little bit lighter, but the newer special ones are definitely lighter.

Edited by Woodwind

Thanks for all the pointers.

I'll be fitting Gotoh 350s as They are only 40grams each.

I'll machine some delrin bushings at work . 

I Won't be maintaining the old school tuner look, but not worried about that.

However this is now a slow burn project as I have the mastering for my next release to pay for.

I'll update the thread with pictures as and when it all comes together.