Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SRMS805 replacement pickups

SteveXFR

I've got a multi scale, 5 string Ibanez SRMS805 which is great to play but lacks punch and bite. I play in quite a heavy band and just can't get it to cut through like my old P bass did. The pickups are 6 string width Bartolinis, I believe they're a far Eastern manufactured version of the P4.

I was set on fitting Nordstrand big blade sixes but can't get them anywhere. 

Any suggestions for nice clear, punchy pickups?

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

There's the Aguilar DCB D4. Have a look at Low End Lobster's videos on swapping Ibarts for the DCB on the EHB. I think there's some up in the marketplace at the moment. Not quite as shouty as Nordies.

I just found them. Although this is a 5 string bass, I need 6 string pickups. Thanks for the tip though

Edited by SteveXFR

58 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I just found them. Although this is a 5 string bass, I need 6 string pickups. Thanks for the tip though

They're a P4 replacement. If the pickups are the same angle as the EHB1005MS (and EHB1265MS), and strings the same spacing, they'll do the job (there is a version with visible pole pieces that comes in 5-string and 6-string versions though).

• Like 1

Does the SRMS805 have one of those Ibanez preamps with connectors on the PCB board labelled "BEQ3" and "VM3"? If so, before throwing money at it, try switching the output connector between these two connectors. One has a treble rolloff above 2kHz of 6dB per octave, which is pretty dramatic and almost muffled. The other output doesn't, and sounds far punchier. If it's currently wired to the VM3 output it might save you a couple hundred. Pics below borrowed from a Talkbass thread about the EHB series, which also feature Bartolini-licensed Ibanez pickups and electronics. 

Screenshot_20230823-171143-609.thumb.png.ab75f1a037a361ea6c37290a7e3f14a8.png

upload_2023-8-24_1-24-28.thumb.png.7b26d4693bc68b8d15c2bf60edd82502.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Does the SRMS805 have one of those Ibanez preamps with connectors on the PCB board labelled "BEQ3" and "VM3"? If so, before throwing money at it, try switching the output connector between these two connectors. One has a treble rolloff above 2kHz of 6dB per octave, which is pretty dramatic and almost muffled. The other output doesn't, and sounds far punchier. If it's currently wired to the VM3 output it might save you a couple hundred. Pics below borrowed from a Talkbass thread about the EHB series, which also feature Bartolini-licensed Ibanez pickups and electronics. 

Screenshot_20230823-171143-609.thumb.png.ab75f1a037a361ea6c37290a7e3f14a8.png

upload_2023-8-24_1-24-28.thumb.png.7b26d4693bc68b8d15c2bf60edd82502.png

Already done this mod