Why become a member? ×

Favourites By Category

stewblack

Compressor: FEA Opti-FET 

Octaver: Aguilar Octamizer 

EQ: Tech 21 Q-Strip

Overdrive: DHA VT1 

Distortion: Idiotbox Landphil (Blowerbox with more eq) 

Fuzz: MXR Brown Acid (I actually prefer the sound from the Latent Lemon Brassmaster but it looses points for being unnecessarily large) 

Envelope Filter: MXR M82

Synth: C4 (annoyingly limited interface though)

Modulation: Source Audio Gemini/Lunar/Mercury (all basically the same). 

Delays: I like multi-fx for delays as it allows lots of editing and parameter control and stacking effects (e.g. adding reverb to the delay) which I find useful for delays, I especially liked the Boss GX 100 because of easy access to tap tempo and assignable expression pedal to sweep through a few effect parameters changing at the same time and touch screen for easy editing. I've got my eye on getting a Boss RE-202 though. 

I think Multi-fx are nearly as good as individual pedals for most things (it's especially difficult to hear much difference when playing through an amp/cab and with a band), what I'm really waiting for is something a bit like the Boss GX 100 or Pod Go form factor but with a good envelope filter and synth so it is all I need in one unit. At the moment it seems all multi-fx fail there which is a hassle as it means I still also need seperate pedals/power supply pedalboard etc. and that then leads me back to having a board of individual pedals, it must be possible - Source Audio do it really well with individual digital pedals (a Source Audio multi FX would be great: Atlas, EQ2, Aftershock, Gemini, C4, Colider, Zio:  all bunched together with a few footswitches and a big display/touchscreen).

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2

On 08/01/2024 at 13:34, stewblack said:

JPTR Jive arrived this morning after a long ride from Germany.

First impressions are all very positive.

It may be what I've been searching for. Certainly sounds like a bass straight into the desk of an old reel to reel tape recorder.

Live test will come on Thursday.

With the clipping stages on or off? 
how’s yours @TbirdnTalman?

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

With the clipping stages on or off? 
how’s yours @TbirdnTalman?

I've tried each of the clipping stages, they change so much with the gain I need to get it at volume in context to really decide. 

Without them I don't really hear much happening 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just sound checked on a rather nice sized stage.

The JPTR sounds righteous. The missing link in my sound. Top diode engaged, compressor before it, gain about 11 o'clock.

Gorgeous.

I can't decide whether I prefer mine on or off!  One minute it's an always on sweetener, the next I'm using it as an occasional drive.  What do you feel it adds, Stew?  Seeing someone else say what I think I hear may help sway me either way!

10 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

I can't decide whether I prefer mine on or off!  One minute it's an always on sweetener, the next I'm using it as an occasional drive.  What do you feel it adds, Stew?  Seeing someone else say what I think I hear may help sway me either way!

I've always wanted that 60s / early 70s bass sound which is compressed but still fat, a little broken or overdriven but kind of organically so. Like the limitations of character of the older equipment made it rather than through effects.

This has got me close

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I've always wanted that 60s / early 70s bass sound which is compressed but still fat, a little broken or overdriven but kind of organically so. Like the limitations of character of the older equipment made it rather than through effects.

This has got me close

Awesome! pretty good explanation to be honest  Do you not find any low end or "weight" lost when it's on?

For me it's a

Tuner

Compressor (Based on MXR Dyna Comp)

Frequency Split @ 200Hz

High goes through

Octave (Based on OC-2)

Distortion (Based on Dude pedal)

then joins the Low and both enter

Reverb for some 'room simulation'

All of the above run on a MOD Dwarf audio processor (https://mod.audio/dwarf/), as does an MP3 audio player for our drum backing tracks.  I'm starting to build a plugin that aims to behave like a Beat Buddy to drive a cajon generator to replace the backing tracks.

I've also a Morningstar MC6 MkII and a small expression pedal to MIDI the hell out of the system.

It all sounds sweet running into a TE Elf -> PJB C4.

I've recently acquired an amp head that has direct input to the power amp which is very neutral, so I am starting to play with some neural models of different amps/cabs on the Dwarf.

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

Awesome! pretty good explanation to be honest  Do you not find any low end or "weight" lost when it's on?

Nope. I follow it with a Harmonic Booster and set the tone there

29 minutes ago, SamIAm said:

For me it's a

Tuner

Compressor (Based on MXR Dyna Comp)

Frequency Split @ 200Hz

High goes through

Octave (Based on OC-2)

Distortion (Based on Dude pedal)

then joins the Low and both enter

Reverb for some 'room simulation'

All of the above run on a MOD Dwarf audio processor (https://mod.audio/dwarf/), as does an MP3 audio player for our drum backing tracks.  I'm starting to build a plugin that aims to behave like a Beat Buddy to drive a cajon generator to replace the backing tracks.

I've also a Morningstar MC6 MkII and a small expression pedal to MIDI the hell out of the system.

It all sounds sweet running into a TE Elf -> PJB C4.

I've recently acquired an amp head that has direct input to the power amp which is very neutral, so I am starting to play with some neural models of different amps/cabs on the Dwarf.

Sam x

Sweet!

• Like 1