Why become a member? ×

Big Muff Nano really noisy with Rick but not Mustang

Clarky

Hi all, I use a Big Muff Nano pedal for 2 or 3 songs in my band's live set. With my Mustang bass its fine but with my Rick 4001 the hum is really intrusive and noisy. I have read that Big Muffs don't always interact well with single coil pickups, which could explain it. Questions I have are:

1. Am I right in thinking its the interaction with single coil pickups (the Mustang with hum cancelling P type pickup acts as the 'control arm' of the experiment, proving its not connections, patch leads or faulty pedal)? Do other BCers have this experience?

2. If so, is there a Big Muff Nano alternative which isn't hellish expensive that doesn't have this issue?

Thanks in advance, Clarky

If you or anyone you know has some soldering ability, you can't go wrong with the Fuzzdog Big Fluffy Pie: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/bassblendmuff
- 1590B (so same size as the EHX)

- Mids control (optional)

- Clean Blend

I believe they'll do it prebuilt too, which takes it to about the same price as a new EHX Green Russian.

Other than that, the Wren & Cuff Tall Font is probably a decent bet, twice the price though.
There's obviously a billion different Muff variants available, it's somewhat option paralysis. It's a shame it's not easy to get hold of a Cog Tarkin....THAT would be your first port of call really. That or a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (love this one at Joes Pedals, decent price: https://joespedals.com/collections/pedals/products/grey-stache-standard)

Si

6 minutes ago, Sibob said:

If you or anyone you know has some soldering ability, you can't go wrong with the Fuzzdog Big Fluffy Pie: https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/product/bassblendmuff
- 1590B (so same size as the EHX)

- Mids control (optional)

- Clean Blend

I believe they'll do it prebuilt too, which takes it to about the same price as a new EHX Green Russian.

Other than that, the Wren & Cuff Tall Font is probably a decent bet, twice the price though.
There's obviously a billion different Muff variants available, it's somewhat option paralysis. It's a shame it's not easy to get hold of a Cog Tarkin....THAT would be your first port of call really. That or a Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (love this one at Joes Pedals, decent price: https://joespedals.com/collections/pedals/products/grey-stache-standard)

Si

Thats super helpful thanks Si. I wouldn't trust myself with a soldering iron (and don't know anyone else who could do it) so will work my way through researching links on each of the pre-made pedals you suggested. Cheers!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clarky said:

As an update, I have dropped an email to Cog regarding availability and build time of a Tarkin fuzz. I recall reading on BC questions over whether they were continuing in business but their website looks active so hopefully I will get a reply

This was the latest update from Facebook. Still available but on Tom’s timeline….so as I mentioned, a little tough to get hold of at the mo.

F7C03DDA-F008-4483-877E-9E55D11E2A25.thumb.jpeg.32d9c97150679237ff56f54ccc882bb5.jpeg

Si

Hmmm,thanks for this. Si.

I haven't received an email reply and by the looks of your post, it might be ages before I actually got my hands on a Tarkin pedal. Think I will investigate the Fuzzrocious instead

Edit: I ordered the purple one at Joes Pedals you linked to 😀

Edited by Clarky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Hmmm,thanks for this. Si.

I haven't received an email reply and by the looks of your post, it might be ages before I actually got my hands on a Tarkin pedal. Think I will investigate the Fuzzrocious instead

Edit: I ordered the purple one at Joes Pedals you linked to 😀

Oooo exciting!! ❤️

Let me know what you think. They’re an awesome family run company, so it’s an ethical purchase too! Lovely people!

Si

• Thanks 1

It doesn't help that the Ric pickups are all wound in the same direction, and therefore not naturally hum-cancelling, as a split coil "P" type pickup is naturally.

You can get RWRP replacement pickups, but you could lose the "Ric-ness" of the sound. There is a way to reverse the polarity of the bridge pickup if you are electrically competent on TalkBass, but again, it's up to you whether you want to look at that as a solution.

Unfortunately, if you throw too much gain at a Ric, it can get a bit noisy, but they do sound awesome when they're just subtly overdriven.

• Thanks 1

Try backing the volume off one of the pickups ever so slightly, this has been my go to Ric tone for years as they essentially shunt each other.

Might help with the hum, but I’ve never had that problem with fuzz’s and the ric. Else a softly gated fuzz might help or switch to a muff emulation in something like a Zoom MS60B or Helix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Try backing the volume off one of the pickups ever so slightly, this has been my go to Ric tone for years as they essentially shunt each other.

Might help with the hum, but I’ve never had that problem with fuzz’s and the ric. Else a softly gated fuzz might help or switch to a muff emulation in something like a Zoom MS60B or Helix

Totally agree with this. Always have the neck pickup dialled back a bit, as the circuit on a 4003 sounds "muffled" with volumes both on full bore. Dial the neck back a touch, and it opens the sound right out.

Not sure if this is a thing on a 4001 though.

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2023 at 22:32, Sibob said:

Oooo exciting!! ❤️

Let me know what you think. They’re an awesome family run company, so it’s an ethical purchase too! Lovely people!

Si

Fuzzrocious pesal has arrived and (a) I haven't noticed any hum with the Rick and (b) it is much more flexible than the EHX bass muff (especially the mids control), giving a broader range of sounds. The EHX sounds quite "raw" by comparison. Thanks for the recommendation Si!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clarky said:

Fuzzrocious pesal has arrived and (a) I haven't noticed any hum with the Rick and (b) it is much more flexible than the EHX bass muff (especially the mids control), giving a broader range of sounds. The EHX sounds quite "raw" by comparison. Thanks for the recommendation Si!

Pleasure, glad you’re enjoying it off the bat 💪

Si

• Thanks 1