Why become a member? ×

Ever had a short after shielding your cavities?

I shielded one of my basses recently with adhesive copper tape and when I tested it after reassembly there was no sound whatsoever. The cause was obviously that the body of one of the pots was touching the copper tape, so I needed to insulate the copper from the electronics.

After a little thought I cut a slice from the middle of a plastic drink bottle (lidl morello cherry sparkling fruit crush), trimmed it to size and put that so it lined the shielded cavity preventing anything attached to the control plate from touching the copper. It worked really well, so I've cut several more to keep in one of my bits boxes ready for next time this issue arises.

i thought sharing this tip might help someone in the future.

insulator.thumb.jpeg.1d4be2701658af535bebfd58ca1e3637.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I shielded one of my basses recently with adhesive copper tape and when I tested it after reassembly there was no sound whatsoever. The cause was obviously that the body of one of the pots was touching the copper tape, so I needed to insulate the copper from the electronics.

Been there, done that :facepalm:.

I like your bottle solution.

• Like 1

I did have this issue when I shielded my Epiphone Explorer - the hole for the jack socket is pretty tight, size-wise and when installed, the jack socket was touching the foil.  Can't rotate it (other than the whole kit and caboodle in multiples of 90 degrees because it's mounted on a plate) because this Epiphone has flat areas on the thread of the jack socket to prevent the very thing I was trying to do.  I got around it by putting some insulating tape over the copper tape in the offending location.  Probably wouldn't have been able to use the above solution in a space that small, but for a whole control cavity that's a nifty solution.  Nice one!