Why become a member? ×

Soldering Station Recommendations?

Richard R

Hi all,

My elderly inheritted soldering station doesn't seem to be getting hot enough, so it's probably time to replace it.

Most of what I do is repairing XLR and cables, small electronics like connectors on PCB and instruments. I don't need industrial grade,  but I'm wary of cheap tools. I would prefer temp controlled.

Other people have recommended this brand,  but I have never heard of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YIHUA-939D-III-EVO-Desoldering/dp/B0BTY3NHZS/

Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with that brand, but those arms and the magnifier look like they'll just snag cables.

If you can I'd get a more slimline station and get a seperate helping hands and magnifier (with a larger lens to boot !)

(I have an Antex 660A which is great, but I appreciate it outside your budget)

20 hours ago, Richard R said:

Hi all,

My elderly inheritted soldering station doesn't seem to be getting hot enough, so it's probably time to replace it.

Most of what I do is repairing XLR and cables, small electronics like connectors on PCB and instruments. I don't need industrial grade,  but I'm wary of cheap tools. I would prefer temp controlled.

Other people have recommended this brand,  but I have never heard of them.

I can't comment on that brand, but i'd echo others' comments about 'snagging'  on those clips

(which are probably removable, but then - no soldering clips!)

When my own venerable iron finally died, a few years ago, and i no longer had access to the work one, i got the following 60W temp-controlled iron (supplied with a variety of tips) and just got an adjustable soldering frame - all decent quality and good functionality, i've been very pleased with it (i see it's reduced to £39 in the Black Friday Sale, and the frame is £14 - both from Am*zon)

60W Preciva temp-controlled soldering station

Burntek soldering frame

Edited by sandy_r
  • Like 1

Brand wise I'd give YIHUA a double thumbs up.  I bought one of their rework stations (temp controlled soldering iron + hot air gun) June 2022; it worked well and felt nice and solid.  It 'survived' my fire (as it was low down in my study so only got soot stained).  Just inside the 12 month warranty period the hot air gun stopped sensing temp so would just keep running ... and then glowing!!  I contacted YIHUA who were very responsive; after sending in a video of the problem I received a replacement hot air gun in about 4 days ... that did not sort the issue and a few days later a totally new unit arrived!

If I were going for an iron, I'd be tempted by this one. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BX9JPSZX?pd_rd_i=B0BX9JPSZX&pf_rd_p=2d7f55fa-4115-4b0b-9563-c60c7ced8ca1&pf_rd_r=VKE44HP0VBN8SQ9QQ2MN&pd_rd_wg=IaVs3&pd_rd_w=JeDaF&pd_rd_r=309846bb-f4df-42de-a794-c83b50720d00

The helping hands are removeable (similar to the setup I use), so only there if needed ... it seems to have good reviews and is a few quid less.

I've a multimeter made by Kaiweet and it is fab quality!

S'manth x

Edited by Smanth

I just use a TS100, the new version is the TS101 I think which can be powered by DC or USB-C so handy to take to gigs with a power bank. Can pick them up for around £60:

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/ts101-soldering-iron-b2/

You'll need a seperate stand with foam but these are a couple of quid. I've done cables and quite delicate board repair with mine, it's been great.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Richard R said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@lemmywinks - that looks quite handy and can run at 45W off a proper USBC power bank, which might be useful. Have you done big joints with it, such as earth leads onto pot cases on older basses?

The Tiswall looks good too, but the link was US, I'll try to find a UK link. 

Yeah I've done pot grounds with it, just works like a regular iron. You can buy different tips like fine, chisel etc and can get also handy little zip cases for them as well. Mine is the older T100 so DC power only but they did bring out a USB-C version called the TS60, looks like they've made the TS101 with both options so I'll probably upgrade to one at some point. Loads of reviews online

For bass and hobby stuff I wouldn't go back to using a traditional solder station as I find the pen type much more convenient and nicer to use.

12 hours ago, Richard R said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

@lemmywinks - that looks quite handy and can run at 45W off a proper USBC power bank, which might be useful. Have you done big joints with it, such as earth leads onto pot cases on older basses?

The Tiswall looks good too, but the link was US, I'll try to find a UK link. 

https://www.tilswall.co.uk/product/soldering-station/ does the job.

Yihua are one of the better cheapo Chinese manufacturers - I've got their WEP 937D, which comes in at £35 today (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soldering-Station-Welder-Rework-Repairing/dp/B074Z84TDL). I've had mine for about 6 years, soldered loads of stuff, still going strong and never met anything it couldn't do - I'd not hesitate to buy the same one again if mine gave up today.

Yihua's stuff are generally clones of the excellent Hakko soldering stations, but at a fraction of the price. There's plenty of other clones of Hakko products, they probably all come from the same Chinese factory.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Just realised I didn't close this thread out.

I asked the wife to get me for Christmas, the TS101 and a 24V DC power supply I can keep with it.

https://www.unmannedtechshop.co.uk/product/ts101-soldering-iron-b2/

It's excellent, heats up so much faster than my old one and is much more controllable. I have to be careful not to accidentally push the buttons while soldering and up the temperature though, fat fingers!

It's too thin for my old spiral stand, but it comes with a little plastic stand which keeps the tip up and stops it rolling. It will run off a USB C laptop supply no problem too.  

Very pleased, and thank you all for the suggestions.  👍

Edited by Richard R
  • Like 2