Why become a member? ×

Rhodes V8 Pro half price until Nov 27th

jimbobothy

... well, I've been playing a couple of years now. A totally solo thing in contrast to bass (church and Motown band). I'm loving the 'no-pressure' element of it and have no time frame to work to just getting better slowly. I'm under no illusions that I'll get 'there' wherever that is, but I am enjoying the journey. And if I end up actually getting an actual Rhodes I'll have pedals aplenty to go with it ha ha 😁

My problem is that I sometimes play with the world's greatest Rhodes player (this is arguable, but he is awesome). I once watched him selling a bottom of the pile Yamaha home keyboard 30 years ago. He made the Rhodes on it sound like the real thing. It was so unfair to the people he was selling to - there is no way they would EVER manage to get that performance out of it. I am at peace with the noise I make on bass, but every time I fancy a bit of Rhodes improvement, I just think "what is the point - John will always trump me"

... if only the sweetest bird in the forest sang it would be a very quiet place ...

and no, I didn't come up with that haha ☺️.

Must be great listening to him though. I went to see Janek Gwizdala and his trio in Manchester last year, he was obviously great, but Tom Cawley, the keys player was on a Rhodes and he was amazing! On a side note I once saw Avaisha Cohen play at the Crucible in Sheffield years ago, tbh I was more mesmerised by the young drummer he had with him, a Mark Guiliana!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2023 at 23:05, Owen said:

I bought one of those small Yamaha doobries for lush Rhodes noises. Only to realise that if I cannot actually play keys then it is all for naught.

Is the small yamaha doobrie in fact a Yamaha Reface CP1?

If so, a wood worker and sound engineer took one, and added a bigger keybed to it, along with a wooden case.

I would have just midi'd the keyboards up to each other, but that is because I have no wood working abilities, no studio, and no YouTube channel!

It's a great video, nonetheless. 

Yep it was the CP. I would have kept it and midi'd it up for the pianists to use in church, but playing an electric piano is a different headspace from playing a piano. Great video!

• Like 1