Why become a member? ×

New material

Mickeyboro

The core of my band we are 3 best mates and we all write songs. Then we have two other friends in the band who are really talented but don’t contribute for their own reasons. 

Each of us come with an idea (I demo in garage band, they both play their songs acoustically). They both are much more musical than me and I can’t sing, but still occasionally write lyrics. But I’ll lay a full demo down to put across my idea. They’ll tweak chords and whatnot, to make it better. 

So, we’ll present an idea and if we are feeling it, it usually develops from there. 

All very democratic. We got bigger things to fall out over. 

Edited by Nothingman

In cover bands: I used to think that my musical opinion mattered, now I don't. I enjoy playing live, but know that if we were playing music to my own tastes, then the places we play would empty pretty quickly. A couple of yeas ago someone suggested a Dua Lipa track, at the time I'd never heard of her. We played the track and people were up dancing immediately, having a good time - what do I know?

I was invited to join another band, where the drummer, a mate from way back, seemed to have the desire to 'educate people on what good music is'. When I joined, it seemed that he was intent of creating a set of material to impress an imaginary cool friend. The downside of this was that the material didn't suit the singer (his wife), or the band instrumentation and alienated most of the 'Dog and Duck' - over the past couple of years we've changed this approach and are now pretty much booked up.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

Most often, I come along with the bass lines/chord sequences etc for a song which everybody works out a part for (or sometimes I suggest), and singer writes lyrics.

A couple of times our singer has come along with lyrics which we'll then work out riffage for.

Either way, we jam it until it works.

With a cover we'll look for a spin on the idea like funkin' or punkin' itup, or making it into a mash-up. I object to doing straight covers!