Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Little Giant 1000

pantherairsoft

Hi guys been trying to figure this out. Sorry if its been covered before but if you can answer it that'd be great...

To get the most out of a 4Ohm Cab, you want either a 4Ohm Speaker or two 8Ohm speaker... this much I know.

The Ashdown Little Giant 1000m is a 1000w 4Ohm head, but is split into two separate 500w 4Ohm outputs. Does this mean it should be treated like to seprate 4Ohm amps for working out the out put...

Hence, using two 8Ohm speakers would not get the most out of the cab, but using two 4Ohm would (as it would act like a sinlge 4Ohm speaker, in a 4 Ohm amp... but twice)

Sorry if i have confused this further :-S

Shep

It is comproses 2 separate 500-watt power stages, each of which need sto have a 4-ohm load in order to get the max out of it. How you make up that 4-ohm load is immaterial as long as they are 4-ohms each.

So pairing it with the 2 Ashdown Compact ABM cabs (1x15 ans 2x10) is not a functional idea as they are both 8Ohms, putting 8Ohms into each load.

WHich seems stupid as Ashdown seem to only make 8Ohm cabs, menaing they make nothing perfect for the Little Giant head... hardly a strong marketing idea!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='483676' date='May 9 2009, 01:26 PM']So pairing it with the 2 Ashdown Compact ABM cabs (1x15 ans 2x10) is not a functional idea as they are both 8Ohms, putting 8Ohms into each load.

WHich seems stupid as Ashdown seem to only make 8Ohm cabs, menaing they make nothing perfect for the Little Giant head... hardly a strong marketing idea![/quote]
you need to have a look at ashdowns superfly cabs which are all 4ohm,2x10,1x15 and 4x8.these were designed to go with the superfly amp which is now discontinued.the little giant has taken its place.ashdown also make a 4ohm 4x10 neo cab,bit more exspensive than the superflys though.

Or quite smart as the user will have to buy 4 8 ohm cabs to get full power, so if they want an all Ashdown rig, they've sold two more cabs!

The good thing about the LG1000 is if you don't need the volume you can just use one (or two) 8 ohm cabs and add more for the full effect if you find yourself playing a stadium. I've heard of people having 16 ohm cabs made so they could run a stack of four cabinets with their bog standard mono amp. Extra speaker cabs are much more effective in giving you volume and projection than more amplifier power.

It doesn't really matter because hardly any bass cabs can handle the full 500W output of each channel. Even one decent 8 ohm cab should be loud enough if the specs are honest. Strange design decision but presumably led by the power modules they could find.

Alex

[quote name='henry norton' post='483695' date='May 9 2009, 01:49 PM']Or quite smart as the user will have to buy 4 8 ohm cabs to get full power, so if they want an all Ashdown rig, they've sold two more cabs![/quote]

Pushing there luck though! No way is anyone going to buy 4 cabs to go with a Little Giant... if you were going to spend that kind of money on a rig, then there are much better options

[quote name='bassmansky' post='483714' date='May 9 2009, 02:12 PM']when i tried the little giant 1000 it sounded a lot better through two superfly cabs than it did abm cabs.superfly cabs are nice and light as well. :)[/quote]

But superfly cabs are somewhat hard to come by these days, and slightly over priced when they do crop up. If you search retaillers now, you find the odd 210 covered in dust going for £430 odd quid, which seems a bit high.

The head is a great price, it just seems silly there are no nice compact 4Ohm cabs that are reasonably compact, to make the LG1000 a great package buy.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='483721' date='May 9 2009, 02:22 PM']Pushing there luck though! No way is anyone going to buy 4 cabs to go with a Little Giant... if you were going to spend that kind of money on a rig, then there are much better options

But superfly cabs are somewhat hard to come by these days, and slightly over priced when they do crop up. If you search retaillers now, you find the odd 210 covered in dust going for £430 odd quid, which seems a bit high.

The head is a great price, it just seems silly there are no nice compact 4Ohm cabs that are reasonably compact, to make the LG1000 a great package buy.[/quote]
email ashdown with your thoughts im sure there they will give you an answer.might even start them making more 4ohm cabs!£430 for a 500w 4ohm cab with neo drivers a bit high???

[quote name='bassmansky' post='483734' date='May 9 2009, 02:47 PM']email ashdown with your thoughts im sure there they will give you an answer.might even start them making more 4ohm cabs!£430 for a 500w 4ohm cab with neo drivers a bit high???[/quote]

Ok, maybe not high for what you get, but when you compare it to the ABM compact range its a lot more.

Edit - Email just sent to Ashdown now.

Edited by pantherairsoft

You're operating under the common misconception that you actually need, or for that matter can use, two channels of 500w/4 ohms. The 320 watts or so available at 8 ohms is more than enough to drive most cabs on the market to full output, while the additional 180 watts you'd get with a 4 ohm load would be inaudible. If Ashdown made companion 4 ohm cabs the next complaint would come from those who felt that they had to use two per channel and why didn't Ashdown make the amp 2 ohm capable. :)

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='483753' date='May 9 2009, 03:15 PM']the next complaint would come from those who felt that they had to use two per channel and why didn't Ashdown make the amp 2 ohm capable. :)[/quote]

And why don't they!!!! :-) Joke!

I guess your right... I hate it when other people are right :-)

[quote name='bassmansky' post='485331' date='May 11 2009, 08:47 PM']have you had a reply yet?[/quote]

Nope. Had a bounce back saying that someone wuld reply to me ASAP, but no answer... :-(

Am considering getting an EVO II 2nd hand as they work out about the same price as the LG1000 with what they go for on eBay at the mo, and from my limited experience, have a much better handle on tone and overall sound quality

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='485416' date='May 11 2009, 11:03 PM']Nope. Had a bounce back saying that someone wuld reply to me ASAP, but no answer... :-(

Am considering getting an EVO II 2nd hand as they work out about the same price as the LG1000 with what they go for on eBay at the mo, and from my limited experience, have a much better handle on tone and overall sound quality[/quote]
they are usually quick to respond.good choice with the head and if you want a 2x10 compact cab i have one for sale :)

• 7 months later...

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='701129' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:27 PM']Am I correct in saying that the amp is rated as "1000w @ 4ohms", so therefore using two 8ohms speaker cabinets will give your 4ohms anyway?

Surely this is the case, otherwise they'd advertise the LG1000 as 1000w at 2ohms, wouldn't they?[/quote]

LG1000 has 2 separate 500-watt power amps, each of which will deliver 500-watts into 4-ohms.

To use 2 x 8-ohm cabs you could use them both on one channel and get 500-watts into the pair

or put one on each channel and get about 300-watts into each.

There is no way you can get 1000-watts into 4-ohms.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='701166' date='Jan 4 2010, 11:57 PM']Thanks for that clarification, obbm. So in other words, using my two 8 ohm Genz Benz cabinets, I'd get roughly the same kind of output as from my Shuttle 6.0.

I was curious, as I've been offered a new LG1000 for a silly price...[/quote]

I had one for a while and was singularly unimpressed with it.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='483676' date='May 9 2009, 07:26 AM']WHich seems stupid as Ashdown seem to only make 8Ohm cabs, menaing they make nothing perfect for the Little Giant head... hardly a strong marketing idea![/quote]
Get 8 ohm cabs. Each power amp is quite capable of driving an 8 ohm 1x12, 1x15 or 2x10 to full output, and if that's not enough you could use as many as four 8 ohm cabs total. 'Getting all the watts out' with only one cab per channel is a shortsighted view, unless the cabs in question are 4x10s.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

There are lots of 2x10 bass cabs that are 4ohm and for my money you would [i]need [/i]to run a pair with the LG to get it anything like fair levels.

[quote name='obbm' post='701177' date='Jan 5 2010, 12:04 AM']I had one for a while and was singularly unimpressed with it.[/quote]

Same here....I borrowed one for a few rehearsals and ran it with the same cabs / bass that I normally used with my Mark Bass LMK (whilst it was being serviced)... tone was ok, but utterly gutless. I was using an Aguilar GS112 at the time

I have the Superfly 48 cab with the LG1000 head - like the LG head, the cab is split into two with each side running at 4 ohms. This means that you can get the full power from the SF head or LG head (with the exception of the LG350 which is bridged at a 4ohm output).

The LG heads do need to be driven very hard though to get the full power they claim - and I mean hard!. Also, volume is perceptual and while I can get the full 1000 watts into a 4x8 cabinet, it's not as loud as a combination of cabinets and speakers moving more air. So the solution I have is light and portable, but nowhere near as loud perceptually as a Markbass CMD121 combo I had. The build quality on the LG heads are very suspect too.