Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for lightweight cab to go with Hartke LH1000

Silky999

I have just sold my old Peavey VB810 and I am looking to downsize especially in the weight dept for a cab for my Hartke LH1000. It will need to be 4 ohms and I don’t want to risk blowing it so it must be capable of handling a fair chunk of the Hartke’s wattage. I will be using it for smaller stand alone gigs but with PA support for larger so speaker configuration I’m also not sure of but I do fancy a 212 of some sort. It’s for rock and pop 4 piece band.

To be honest, I have no experience of cabs other than the more “budget” brands and certainly not the likes of Bergantino, Vanderkley etc.

What’s a good bang for buck, decent sounding, lightweight cab maybe 212 in the £500 used range that would be a step up on what I have used before?

• Like 1

Investigate the Hartke HL410 1000 watt cab. It's what I run with my LH1000. Well made, really very light and I think it sounds very good. Two sealed 2x10s essentially with a tweater, which I don't find the need to use.

Ok, so it's not an 8ohm cab but I think running the amps in bridged mode gets you 750 Watts or around that (can't actually remember the exact figure).

I run mine in bridged and on big festival stages I'm getting up to about 11 o'clock on the master volume.

• Like 1

TBH if you have PA support then you don’t need 1000W or a 4ohm speaker. Indeed it is a positively bad idea. If the PA is what the audience are hearing then you need them not to hear the bass amp and even more importantly you need to turn down as much stage sound as possible to keep it out of the vocal mics. You’ll never get a clean sound if you and the other instruments are drowning the vocals and distorting the feed to the PA.

Go for a really good 112, it will serve you better than a cheaper 212 and if you absolutely need volume when you don’t have PA support you can add a second. A decent 112 with 500W through 8ohms is already way more than you need for stage monitoring.

• Like 3

At that price I'd look for a used Genz Benz Nx 212. A full range cab, usually around the £350 mark and 600W at 4ohms. I swear by them and have ab'd mine against other more boutique/expensive 2x12's and imho it sounds better. I even cancelled my order for a Barefaced equivalent when I had the chance to play them alongside each other....

They come up for sale here occasionally. Here's the most recent one...

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1