Why become a member? ×

Another project before Christmas

mrbacco

Hey there! Same floor (OSB 18 not plywood 🙂 ) different project ... but not that different!

Mohogany Body with ash top, with rounded contourns (different from the first one, i.e. the red one). Slab body (no cavities for belly and arm).

Telecaster like second hand maple + maple fretboard in more than decent conditions.

Warman Drivetrain. Quad Coil 28+ kOhm ultra output pickup. 4 wire dual humbucker. Will require a modification of the pickup slot that is P51 standard, will get this done with router and chisels (maybe).

All hardware will be black. 

Omega Pickup second hand (thanks for @walshy 🙂)

Black pickup ring (need to conceal the good bad job I will do to extend the pickup cavity)

Won't be colored, only oiled and will keep the mohogany color in the back vs the ash on the front! 

I hope I won't let you down! 

Thanks for looking! 

PXL_20231110_152115654.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

Nice little project that...

Warman Quad Coil... 

Omega Pickup (SD?) or just the Ring?

Ring looks like it's for an Archtop...

Oil finish, luverly... Tru-Oil?

Keep those pics coming...

Thanks Paul ... 

Bit more info here

Pickup: https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/product/drivetrain-quad-coil-29-87-kohm-ultra-output-pickup-4-wire-our-highest-output-dual-humbucker/

Bridge: https://www.thomann.de/ie/allparts_omega_bass_bridge_bk.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxreqBhAxEiwAfGfndMBggb05aNzfiBll51MyFZTI0ryhdgnvWLCsCnQ9W2QavB4duG_9IhoCtXkQAvD_BwE

The pickup ring is from amazon 

The finish ... not sure yet ... I would love a satin color similar to the one on the other P bass I made, not glossy .... will have to do a bit of research here. ... 

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Omega Bridge... not pickup?

Just take the route drilling work steady... It's fun...

Cavity2.thumb.jpg.bb803b1dfbc9fb7707ec1ce35a9314b9.jpg

20231025_003220.thumb.jpg.6b5229bb1437d307b222cb4a57a37a20.jpg

you are right, sorry, I meant Omega bridge not pickup, sorry .... 

My hand router has broken down this afternoon while I was working on the pickup cavity ... mamma mia .. I am going back to chisel and hammer, 1921! 

Also I forgot to mention: the neck heel will need a bit of filing, as the pocket is 63mm wide and the neck heel is 64mm so a bit of hand work also there, as the router is out now!!

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Rather than shave the neck heel down, I'd open the pocket out a smidge, but that's just how I would do it.

5 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I'd work on the body...

My alignment, elastic strings, workings etc.. might help.

interesting, I have worked on the heels so far, I might give it a go to work on the body now, thanks for the good insight here! I might have to work less if I shave the body! 

• Like 1

Found the body easier to secure, Sandpaper double sided to an off cut of wood... found easier to keep square, and maintain the pocket taper... and around a dowel to blend to the back of the pocket.

... and you need to work a smaller area, only the length and height of the pocket... not the longer flat of the neck, and its fuller depth, that will show.

• Like 1

Sunday update: 

Did not much over the weekend as I was busy for some other wifey familiy stuff, so I got back to it only this late afternoon.

Sanded the body: I have a 62mm old squared heel neck that I used as tool to sand both sides with double sided paper. Sanded bit by bit each side, till I found the almost perfect fit. The bottom, thou, seems slightly different in the corners. See the attached pictures for better explanation:

Also: quick question: this is the firsat time that I have a body not drilled with a neck drilled, I have the telecaster 1:1 drawings that I am checking as we speack to find where exactly to drill the holes in the body. What is the best way here to drill the holes? What diameter of bit should I use on the body and which side should I drill from? Back or front? 

Thanks! 

PXL_20231112_191409057.jpg

PXL_20231112_191142473.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231112_191230480.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231112_191137804.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20231112_191123087.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 1

It depends on how you intend to fix the neck. If you're using a standard Fender pattern neck plate and woodscrews I would line up the plate so it's visually pleasing on the body, with an equal gap between it and the edge. Then mark the centres of those holes and drill a clearance hole for the screw. IMO you don't want to have the screw biting into the body, That way the threads pull the neck tight into the pocket. My opinion only, it may not be accurate. 

Then fit the neck, mark the screw holes and drill a tapping hole for the chosen screw.

If you're not using a neck plate, or using machine screws and inserts then I don't see it matters where you put them, as long as you don't hit the truss rod or come through the fingerboard 😁

Edited by Si600
  • Thanks 1

I mean, if you recessed the screw heads properly and wanted it to look properly left field rat-rod style you could always put the screws in from the front.  There's enough clearance between the frets at the dusty end of a bass neck...

As long as it's secure it's just a visual thing at the end of the day...

• Like 1

You going Std Plate and Wood Screws...

Ferrule and Wood Screws, or either with Bolts and Neck Inserts

Neck plates are Std-ish... Screw Pitch can vary as does the size of the screw, and depth of cutting thread.

Have you the Bits?

I wouldn't be inclined to make the neck holes tight... so reasonable pilot holes, and make sure they are deep enough... you don't want the screw to go tight before it's seated in the plate, 'cis you will round out the head. Pilot for Screw Size on the web, bear in mind if a dense wood, even more reason to get the pilot big enough... soap or wax on the threads...

Align the plate on the back of the body... I'd drill from back to pocket, then tidy pocket... or Put the plate in the pocket, align front and sides, drill smaller pocket to back then bigger back to front... you might want to go tight on the clearance, so there is a bit of hold (no screwed) in the body.

The body's i've had have already been neck drilled, so easy to just align and drill the neck... I wrapped part of the drill bit with elect tape to pack out - sleeve - to centre the neck hole pilot drill in the body.

Lookin' Good...

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Si600 said:

It depends on how you intend to fix the neck. If you're using a standard Fender pattern neck plate and woodscrews I would line up the plate so it's visually pleasing on the body, with an equal gap between it and the edge. Then mark the centres of those holes and drill a clearance hole for the screw. IMO you don't want to have the screw biting into the body, That way the threads pull the neck tight into the pocket. My opinion only, it may not be accurate. 

Then fit the neck, mark the screw holes and drill a tapping hole for the chosen screw.

If you're not using a neck plate, or using machine screws and inserts then I don't see it matters where you put them, as long as you don't hit the truss rod or come through the fingerboard 😁

36 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I mean, if you recessed the screw heads properly and wanted it to look properly left field rat-rod style you could always put the screws in from the front.  There's enough clearance between the frets at the dusty end of a bass neck...

As long as it's secure it's just a visual thing at the end of the day...

I had to read these messages a couple of time, but I think I got you now, yes thanks! I will be using neck joints and bolts so I think I will screw the back with the bolts and then the screws through the body to the neck

I have exactly done what you guys suggested, measured a few times to be sure the standard fender like plate on the front of the neck to match exactly the already drilled holes in the neck which corresponds, then I have drilled a samll cavity in the back to host the bolts. And screwed it in! It seems more or less failry and decently straight. Will see when we string her up! I kinda like the bare back with no plate. And also I like the dual color of the body: mohogany and ash, so I want to see as much wood as I can! 🙂 

PXL_20231112_211100988.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.c58f64f12956d31ad92170da4992f1f2.jpg

PXL_20231112_210024260.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.thumb.jpg.0fb24fadf4ec8210fccc0f3c4321a144.jpg

• Like 4

Early monday morning update: 

Neck and pickup fitted.

Pickup work was a bit tedious due to hand rotary tool broken last week. Back to chisel and patience. I extended the cavity, but, as you can see, I made a little mistake in the bottom left corner of the pickup ring, where I went mad with the chisel and extended the cut a few millimiters that were NOT required. The ring does not cover it unfortunately, so my OCD will have to live with that and with the fact that there is a tiny gap between te neck bottom and the picket bottom, but it seems straight enough (will have to string her up thou to check).

Now we are ready for soldering the control plate and the pickup.

Will have to work separately on the output jack, as this body has it at the side and not as a third hole in the control area .... (sigh!)

PXL_20231113_103315880.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.28fc6111aad33a5a5d8021e02b927788.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ little dribble of glue (in the hole -not top surface as it may effect the oil finish...) must have a suitable shard from ya chiselin'?..

yeah some glue and a bit of ash dust from previous drilling to cover better? whaddaya think?

Edited by mrbacco

Hey all.

This is the first draft of the bass, I will have to work on the electrics as the stereo jack is making me mad cause it does not work with my mono cable unless I plug the cable half way and not fully in. Then I can start intonation and action (which is still pretty high for my standards)

PXL_20231113_103315880.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 8

It is finished. 

Truss rod adjusted, action low, but not as low as the previous telecaster like (i.e. mrbacco 1 the ferrari one), will get a new nut and file it a bit to get the lowest possible. 

The pickup is a beast ... cannot turn the volume to a 1/4, as it would break the amp (very inexpensive one I have) and maybe the attic windows glasses ... but it is at least twice the power of the first minihumbucker in the red one. The only thing is that, through my cheap amp, I do not get the chubby phat sound that I like, but I will try this evening with headphones that seem to get a better sound. Anyway I am surprised by the fact that I can turn the volume up jus a very tiny wee bit to get an atomic power. I imagine it would be fun_tastic on a gig stage!  

Thanks everyone for following and, as ususal, for supporting a beginner ! 🙂 

Edited by mrbacco
  • Like 6