Why become a member? ×

Shorty (thrown together yesterday)

kodiakblair

Fazley Hot Rod from Bax was chosen as the guinea pig, b-stock.

Shorties.thumb.jpg.70a71d2a5e1b99f2c5ab19753f8e6471.jpg

Yinfente baritone neck, messed up there. Picture showed 22 frets, spec said 24 frets. This eejit chose to believe the picture 🤬

Here I really messed up, not least because I've lost the photos 😬

Heel was both too wide and wrong shape for pocket. Paddle peghead was too short for my usual 51 template. Fudged the size of the peghead, used files and sanding bobbin to sort the heel.

Yinfenteneck.jpg.5d39842ddea5907bc7fe6e45a633cba2.jpg

Baritone neck is quite narrow at the heel, 56mm. This meant a narrow 4 string bridge, £8 Ali-Ex 👍

AliExbridge.jpg.76e54d5728a1cd7200e205f2d6099fbf.jpg

• Like 3

Neck got drilled and fitted.

Bridge position, Lady Luck shined on me. Fazley bridge is through body strung so I'd 6 holes and a ground wire in a nice row at the front 😬

Base plate covers them by 3-4mm 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

Warman Quad drive replaced the white humbucker, black knob replaced the white one.

Hofner light gauge strings will get replaced with Status Hotwire tapes. 2nd time I've tried light gauge strings , yet again I'm struggling to get proper relief.

ShortyGreen(2).thumb.jpg.d8d89f98816a0249359b48c28323ec41.jpgShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.4f235aa5504400b99502e670fae65cbe.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

Still to do.

2 black screws in the holes left by original bridge, some kind of plate to hide the string ferrules on the back.

Maybe trim the peghead lines, looks a bit oversize to me.

Far better than I could do mate - does it pull towards the bass side a bit, looking face on do the strings pull a bit over to the right?

Were the tuner holes pre drilled?

looks ace though - simple and clean.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

does it pull towards the bass side a bit, looking face on do the strings pull a bit over to the right?

No Andy.

At the nut I've 3.5mm from edge of fretboard to centre of the string on each side, down at the heel its 4mm each side.

Original pickup mounting was off the square so that'll throw your eye.

Bridge spacing was given as 16.5mm, it's 17mm/16mm/16.5mm; dare say we'd find something similar across most bridge saddles.

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Were the thunder holes pre drilled?

Paddle peghead so they needed drilled.

Shape was marked out on the back, total PITA. All my templates were too long, shortened it freehand. New 'improved' shortened version didn't leave enough meat for open gear tuning pegs so it got Gotoh copies from a Peavey. Gotoh tuners don't match the templates, made one using this Shine.  

ShineTBass(2).thumb.jpg.d8442d81a4721d5c08c90ddfda4987d1.jpg

Course the bloody centre differed from the template 🤬 Angle coming off the nut would be fine if it was a Gibson 3+3.

image.png.717859af45100efe1d8b7a1ddbe7cb64.png

Lucky for me the 2 +2 template is already done for the Mosrite 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2023 at 16:46, kodiakblair said:

Neck got drilled and fitted.

Bridge position, Lady Luck shined on me. Fazley bridge is through body strung so I'd 6 holes and a ground wire in a nice row at the front 😬

Base plate covers them by 3-4mm 🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️🤸‍♂️

Warman Quad drive replaced the white humbucker, black knob replaced the white one.

Hofner light gauge strings will get replaced with Status Hotwire tapes. 2nd time I've tried light gauge strings , yet again I'm struggling to get proper relief.

ShortyGreen(2).thumb.jpg.d8d89f98816a0249359b48c28323ec41.jpgShortyGreen(1).thumb.jpg.4f235aa5504400b99502e670fae65cbe.jpg

wow that is a nice bass, how is the sound of the pickup? is is full fat low ?