Why become a member? ×

Neck radius for Hohner B2A / is a radius block needed for sanding a fretless fingerboard

pn_day

Dear all,

Background

I have a B2AFL (the factory fretless model). There are some markings on the fingerboard from previous use of round wounds, and a few nicks on the board as well. 

I think this might be the reason that the G-string develops a rather sitar-like resonance when the neck relief is low (I noticed it when I tried out tape wound strings, which didn't have enough tension to put much relief on the neck even with the truss rod loosened completely). For now I'm living with slightly more relief, and therefore using the old flats that came on the bass which have slightly higher more tension than I like. 

I believe from searching online that the fingerboard material might be ebanol. 

I've never done any neck sanding before. I was wondering about either just sanding down a touch to try and flatten off any high spots, or alternatively coating with CA glue and sanding that down - to try and fill in any low spots.

Questions

1. Do most people use a radius block for sanding a fretless fingerboard, or do you just use a long straight edge and do it by eye?
  2. Does anyone know what the radius of a 4-string Hohner B2A is?
  3. Is CA glue coating of an ebanol board possible or recommended?

Many thanks for any tips you can offer.

Phil

Photos are attached to show the latest iteration - added glow in the dark stickers as some of the dots had worn away, swapped out the EMG Select humbuckers for some Warman Twin Locos, and swapped out the stock wiring for a VBT+SP harness from @KiOgon 

IMG_20231110_154834.jpg

IMG_20231110_154847.jpg

IMG_20231110_154841.jpg

Edited by pn_day
Adding photos
  • Like 1