Why become a member? ×

Pick Newbie

bremen

Gday

After many years of playing exclusively fingerstyle, I now want to make the sounds that Steve Hanley, Tracey Pew and Kim Deal do (did) so well. I have the Precision, the Ampeg and the round wounds. 

All i need now is someone to teach me how to use a pick... Help! 

I didn’t use a pick for all my time in bands, 10 + years and then another 15 after that, eventually wanted to get some of that tone you can only get from a pick or nail. It’s taken me a while to get comfortable with it and I’m still in practice mode with a pick. 

It helps if you can try different sizes, thicknesses and material picks and find what suits you. Or, just get used to the first one you find and persevere. All I can say is don’t grip it too tightly. 

17 hours ago, Dazed said:

Oh and if you haven’t already, find some Bobby Vega videos, fantastic pick (and finger style) player

I fully agree with this! :i-m_so_happy:

Bobby Vega is THE absolute master of bass pick playing.

If any ignorant ever claims using a pick for playing bass is exclusively for amateurs or failed guitarists (Hello? Ever heard of utterly useless hacks such as Carol Kaye, Paul McCartney and Chris Squire?), just link them a couple of videos of Bobby Vega playing bass with a pick, and watch their jaw drop and faces turn red as they come to a realization of just how deep their ignorance run.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Bobby Vega has so much funk with a pick, it’s unreal. But also check out Cody Wright and Steve Swallow and don’t forget that Anthony Jackson uses a pick, when he feels it’s necessary.

Edited by ezbass

Agree with all that's been said so far - definitely try to find the size and weight that suits you. Also, another general pointer: although there are many ways to hold the pick, try to have only the very tip pointing out. That way, it'll feel more like an extension of your hand and less of an ungainly tool. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Huw Foster said:

Agree with all that's been said so far - definitely try to find the size and weight that suits you. Also, another general pointer: although there are many ways to hold the pick, try to have only the very tip pointing out. That way, it'll feel more like an extension of your hand and less of an ungainly tool. 

I've been playing with a pick for years and still feel like an ungainly tool 😂

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ezbass said:

Booby Vega has so much funk with a pick, it’s unreal. But also check out Cody Wright and Steve Swallow and don’t forget that Anthony Jackson uses a pick, when he feels it’s necessary.

Cody Wright was/is deeply inspired and influenced by Bobby Vega's pick playing.

Not sure who this Booby Vega you mention is though, some common bass playing family member of Dolly Parton and Suzanne Vega? ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

4 hours ago, Huw Foster said:

Also, another general pointer: although there are many ways to hold the pick, try to have only the very tip pointing out. 

Top tip that, thanks! 

Most of Live at Leeds is picked, John Entwistle never got called an rusty bullethole (nor did Pablo Picasso). 

Edit:

An rusty bullethole? What the actual feck is an rusty bullethole? Surely *a* rusty bullethole. Theyll be saying "an diamond" next. 

Edited by bremen