Why become a member? ×

A question

bubinga5

Both parents sang and recorded singles for limited release to friends and family. My father sang in pubs, clubs, etc. I remember that there was always music going on in my house as a child. Still remember whole songs sang by them, although I'm talking sixty-plus years ago. That's probably why I describe myself as a singer who plays bass, rather than a bassist who sings.

Radio One, from before I was born until about the age of 13, was on almost all the time at home, so I know where you're at @ambient !

Nothing cool, no exposure to an extensive parental record collection, no cool uncles. Just wall-to-wall top 40 pop.

Has it affected my playing ? Not sure, but almost every song I write weighs in at under 3 mins :)

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

Dad - classical, primarily orchestral, a little jazz (not sure if there was much apart from Grapelli and Menuhin) and the odd bit of comedy (Gerard Hoffnung, Peter Sellers, Flanders and Swann). Mum - didn't have many records, what she did have were Beatles, Freddie and the Dreamers that sort of thing. So there was a severe lack of influence (apart from the comedy).