Why become a member? ×

Hello

The Attic Man

20231104_122746.thumb.jpg.8489fed1fb60a7ec7856323e31156746.jpg20231104_122753.thumb.jpg.e7e6eef21ccd1e69f77cfd063ec1db0d.jpg20231104_122759.thumb.jpg.1f52ab284f4a0b281d41f75b150cebf7.jpg20231104_122820.thumb.jpg.e0352eea2172441d093fe3ea5cfe26a2.jpg20231104_122829.thumb.jpg.d47794000ccd82d35a17dc3aa08e98c4.jpg20231104_122904.thumb.jpg.9de9e233f774fb6e1121b5ab36aed6d7.jpg20231104_122921.thumb.jpg.93606ba3095a0e98e8add9755bc7bc04.jpgHello all.

So glad i found this forum and really looking forward to delving in and hopefully learning some stuff 😁

I'm Dave 52 (rapidly approaching 53) and about 7 weeks ago i thought i would try and have a go at learning bass. Ive been playing the ukulele for about 12 years to an alright level and also fumble my way around a acoustic guitar sort of 🤣. But After watching the Paul Ryder Podcast i thought i would like to have a go at attempting the bass guitar. Luckily one of my bosses leant me his old encore bass and amp and i have been having a bash on that for the last 7 weeks. I do find it a strectch for my hands but i guess the more i practice hopefuuly it becomes better.

I can fumble my way through "TNT" by AC/DC and The Jack and also love playing Fridy im In Love by The Cure. Oh i Cna also play Sit Down by James and Public Image by Pil and Peaches by the Stranglers.

I love music, listening and attempting to play it. I hva a very eclectic range of taste which i think is healthy. I also work for a Electronics company that makes high end Hi Fi equipment. I atually work for the deptmartment that makes record cartridges and styli. I also love Vinyl.

Anyway I have been offered the Encore Bass and Amp for £50 im tempted :)

Right back to work for me. Look forward to chatting and hopefully gaining some knowledge and advice from you lovely people.

Best regards and sorry for the bad spelling fingers ache from playing Bass 😅

Dave 🤘

Edited by The Attic Man
Added photos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, The Attic Man said:

...about 7 weeks ago i thought i would try and have a go at learning bass. Ive been playing the ukulele for about 12 years to an alright level ...

... love playing Fridy im In Love by The Cure...

...I hva a very eclectic range of taste which i think is healthy...

...Look forward to chatting and hopefully gaining some knowledge and advice...

hi Dave, greetings from an old codger in his 70s - never too late to start enjoying playing the bass.  If you're handy with a uke, you might be interested in checking out bass ukes too - have a wander on You tube for demos of Ubass or similar

Friday I'm in Love - great track, one of my faves too

hope you enjoy the banter amongst the basses

cheers. sandy

• Thanks 1

HI Sandy 

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I thought about uke bass a few years ago. But I've been offered this encore bass and a peavy amp for 50 quid I might buy it I've been lucky to of been leant it to play on. I've read good things about these Indian made encore bass's.

I wad wondering what other gear I should get someone said about getting a compressor pedal.

Yes Friday I'm in love I love rocking out to that also attempting some zz top looked at some iron maiden stuff but the bpm scared me 😆

Any way thank you all for the warm welcome and I look forward to being on this forum .

Have a great weekend .

• Like 1

Welcome sir...

TBH you can get much more bass for not many more pennies just by reading a few of the threads here. 

If you're committed to playing bass you will outgrow the Encore within 6 months and will have to sell it and find a replacement.  You will find many good basses in the £200 range - a similar amount will get you a half decent Ashdown or Trace Elliot combo which will do fine till you are gigging regularly. 

Lots of online resources available  - you can learn lots from the free part of Scott Devine's site:

https://scottsbasslessons.com/

Or Mark Smith's TalkingBass site:

https://www.talkingbass.net/

Just wish these resources were available when I started playing. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04:

I started aged 51 with a borrowed bass and promptly got hooked. A couple of months later I spent £250 on a second-hand bass (much to my wife's surprise) and here I am another five years on, playing tolerably well and really enjoying myself. (And I might have bought two more basses, a small amp, and a V-bass and hex pickup on the way, but hey it's a hobby and cheaper than smoking!)

Checkout StudyBass.com.  Completely free and very good- read especially all the beginners' posts about position and avoiding injury.

• Thanks 1

Hi all thanks all for the lovely warm welcome. I will add some photos of the bass I've been offered .I actually would really like a Harley Benton bass, I've read good things about them. anyway once again many thanks for the lovely welcome. Oh I've also added "Buck Rodgers" by Feeder to my repertoire 🤘