Why become a member? ×

Online drum lessons?

Newfoundfreedom

I bought a fairly decent electronic drum kit a couple of years ago for a recording project that never really got off the ground. Nothing much happening with my bass playing at the moment and I've always fancied my chances on the drums and can just about hold a very basic beat. The problem is I need a structured approach and although there's lots of good resources on YouTube etc it's all a bit scattergun. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for any structured online drumming courses?

I've found one on Udemy that seems to be decently rated. But just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience. 

Unfortunately in person lessons are a no go for several reasons. 

Cheers.

IMG_20231022_130946.jpg

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

... just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience...

Sorry, nothing first-hand here (I learnt decades ago, from drum method books such as 'Modern Techniques for the Progressive Drummer', by Max Abrams...), but Jared Falk does some very decent stuff. See here and browse..?

Free Drum Lessons...

In passing, that's a very good kit (I have that same model...). Depending on what you want to learn, I always recommend spending some time (half of one's practice time..?) on snare drum rudiments; it takes time to develop the physical side of drumming, and rudiments speed things up a lot. Oh, and whilst I'm here, I'd add that the fastest way to build up drumming is to go slowly, very slowly. Speed comes all the faster from going slowly. Look at other beats, too, not just the old 4/4. Latin stuff is fun, and teaches us a lot. Bon courage:rWNVV2D:

Douglas

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Sorry, nothing first-hand here (I learnt decades ago, from drum method books such as 'Modern Techniques for the Progressive Drummer', by Max Abrams...), but Jared Falk does some very decent stuff. See here and browse..?

Free Drum Lessons...

In passing, that's a very good kit (I have that same model...). Depending on what you want to learn, I always recommend spending some time (half of one's practice time..?) on snare drum rudiments; it takes time to develop the physical side of drumming, and rudiments speed things up a lot. Oh, and whilst I'm here, I'd add that the fastest way to build up drumming is to go slowly, very slowly. Speed comes all the faster from going slowly. Look at other beats, too, not just the old 4/4. Latin stuff is fun, and teaches us a lot. Bon courage:rWNVV2D:

Douglas

Good advice. Thanks Doug. 👍

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Drumeo is good. I’ve been playing drums for about 10 years now and one of the main resources is drumeo.  
Actually I take that back, Drumeo isn’t good, it’s awesome!

Yeah Drumeo looks really good but it's a bit pricey with the monthly sub. I'm ideally looking for something more akin to the TalkingBass model, where you buy the course then you own it for life and can do it in your own time. 

21 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah Drumeo looks really good but it's a bit pricey with the monthly sub. I'm ideally looking for something more akin to the TalkingBass model, where you buy the course then you own it for life and can do it in your own time. 

I would say that drumeo is worth ever penny tho. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

...I might even be brave and post a couple of progress videos. 😆

To better evaluate progress, and also see how the video process works, it's a Good Idea to do a 'Before' video, showing the starting point. Does it show up how 'bad' one is..? Yes, of course; that's the point. From then on, progress is easy to recognise, and it's good to look back every now and again as a reminder of how things were in the beginning. No need to be brave, either; we all started from exactly the same point at one time or another; we've all been there. We can give helpful tips and pointers that may not be obvious right now, or you may already be much better than you give yourself credit for. Show us your basic stuff, on that excellent kit, please..? :friends:

:useless:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Skybone said:

I signed up my son for the free trial of Melodics when he got his Alesis kit, but he didn't take to it.

Might be worth looking at?

https://melodics.com/drums

Thanks. I'll have a look. 

Edit.

I really like the look of that as is tailored much more towards edrums. I've just signed up to the monthly trial of Drumeo. I think I'll try this along side and see which I find the most useful. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom