Why become a member? ×

I am not talking about IR loaders, but the actual IR files, so what is your favorite IR cab sim file, and why?

Also please include how you use it, and which IR loader(s) you use.

Mine is the stock Ampeg SV212AV IR cab sim that comes with the NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI.

And even though I additionally use quite a bit of EQ'ing to get the tone that I want I simply can't seem get there with any other IR I've tried.

My setting on the NUX MLD Bass Preamp is as follows:

Aguilar Tone Hammer amp emulation

Low Shelf @ 40Hz ~+6dB

Mids with a rather broad bandwidth @ 398Hz ~+10dB

High Shelf @ 4kHz ~+1dB

Ampeg SV212AV IR cab sim

HPF @ 40Hz 

LPF @ 13947Hz

Further more I have an always on subtle low gain overdrive, from the build in drive section of the preamp, dialed in, blended with parallel clean signal at a 50/50 ratio.

And the signal chain that makes up my basic "clean" tone looks like this:

Buffer -> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, though with just a very subtle compression dialed in, primarily used as a tube preamp stage, with the tubes driven to just on the verge of breakup) -> Zoom B1Xon (digital multi effect, among other stuff handling the subtle reverb that is part of my basic "clean" tone, which consists of a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb) -> NUX Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI (with settings as listed above) -> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with the tube driven to just on the verge of breakup, and with the build in fixed @ 40Hz HPF engaged)

I would describe the tone as very well balanced, open and articulate, natural, clear and well defined, with a nice amount of punch, snap and zing, but still with a certain warmth and harmonically richness to it, the latter two qualities though probably especially thanks to the tube preamp stages in my setup.

And I simply can't seem to get the same amount of clarity and definition and as natural and balanced a tone with any other IR I've tried.

A lot of the other IRs I've tried tend to sound somewhat either bloated or thin in comparison.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I downloaded the Celestion Pulse 10 pack from Celestion Plus. Can't recall which particular IR I'm using, but it is one of the 4x10 IR's, loaded onto a POD Go, with an SVT4 amp model. I think it sounds good, others may differ.

Contemplating the BN10-200X IR's...

But Celestion also do the Bergantino IR's.

EDIT: Had to run through a few songs last night, so fired up the POD Go, and checked the IR that's loaded up. It's the Pulse 10 410 S AKG D114 Dark 2. Think I might need to sit down and go through the IR's again, just to see if there are any others that appeal.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

I have a Helix. Most of the time I don't both with cab sims (or amp sims for that matter) as IMO adding one always seem to make my bass sound worse.

I do however find that the model of the Roland Jazz Chorus Combo works well with my Bass VIs.

Therefore if you are determined to use amp and cab models don't be afraid to try ones that you wouldn't consider using for bass if it was actual hardware. You might be surprised.

• Like 1

I use an IR of a Sunn 200s from ShiftLine, which is a 2x15 I believe. Part of their  free pack iirc.

I downloaded a handful of free IRs and just chose one I liked.

That lives in a NUX Melvin Lee, but I just use it as a cab sim, not the amp modeller. Preamp duties for that are handled by a Schaltechnik Gallien Kruger preamp.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 1

I usually just have my LPF on the Capo which is more than sufficient for live/rehearsals. When I’m at home going straight through headphones I sometimes use the free Shiftline IRs for a little more warmth.

I bought some York Audio Ampeg 810 IRs which sound great but still always end up going back to the freebies. 

• Like 1

Olympic (who make the Shift Line tube preamp) have a free IR download available, I really like their Hartke 4x10, it’s nice and clear and one of the very few IR’s I’ve tried that I felt added something to the sound. The EBS 4x10 in that pack isn’t too bad either

• Like 1