Why become a member? ×

Bitsa 50s style Precision, some quality parts, unfinished project, 3.5kg Huge drop to £275 - *SOLD*
£350
Benfleet, Essex

Paul S

Unfinished project.  I bought this on eBay - advertised as a quality relic carried out by a particular person whose name escapes me but supposedly in great demand.  it was lightweight and had an Allparts neck - looked fine in the pics.  I was rather disappointed when it arrived as the relic job was rough.  I replaced some of the hardware to my preference then my plan was to redo the relic - but I never got around to it and am now moving to short scales.

Good bits.  The neck is absolutely fantastic, Allparts Telecaster style headstock - these are quality, expensive necks.  40mm at the nut but quite deep.  It started off as a U profile but I got my luthier to reduce the shoulders down to a D profile and he made a damned fine job of it.  Unfinished where he took the wood away.  Cheeky Fender decal applied by the guy I bought it from.

New G&L lightweight vintage style tuners.  Quality bit of kit, these https://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/products/tuning-keys-g-l-usa-ultralite-bass

New Retrovibe Route '51 pickup, the hotter 9.2K one.  These are really lovely pickups with real depth and a bite to them, no hum.  One of these https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/retrovibe-51p-replacement-single-coil-bass-pickup-for-50s-precision-alnico-poles-cloth-wire-string-binding/

New Retrovibe 50s style adjustable bridge - looks vintage but is fully adjustable - one of these https://retrovibe.co.uk/product/fully-compensatable-bass-bridge-for-51-precision-string-thru-brass-saddle-19mm-spacing-through-compensated/

I believe the pots and electrics were upgraded by the guy I got it from, tele-plate vol/tone.

The weight is very good indeed - 3.5kg/7.7lbs.

Bad bits.  The body (no idea where this is from) was very crudely reliced.  I had the upper body forearm contour made bigger and was going to round it off and generally make a better job of the relic finish but just didn't get around to it.  At the moment the sunburst lacquer has had rough scratching done by what looks like a scourer, not a good job. 

Also there have been a couple of different sets of tuners fitted and the back of the headstock bears witness to this.

Top job would be to completely strip the finish off and give it a blast of nitro and let that wear, keeping the dings and bumps.  Or strip it and oil it.  If you can do this you will have a fabulous bass.  At the moment it plays and sounds absolutely brilliantly but doesn't look so hot.  If you can live with it and do a better relic with the current finish - maybe flatten off the scratches a bit better with some fine wet n dry - this is an absolute steal.

Price is £350 £275 collected from SS7, just 20 mins east of J30 on M25.  Could meet half way or deliver for fuel costs within 100 miles.  No hard case, not keen on courier.

Pics show it strung with TI Flats, I will put some old roundwounds on before it goes.

IMG_20231006_162131.jpg

IMG_20231006_162138.jpg

IMG_20231006_162146.jpg

IMG_20231006_162157.jpg

IMG_20231006_162200.jpg

IMG_20231006_162207.jpg

IMG_20231006_162213.jpg

IMG_20231006_162223.jpg

IMG_20231006_162229.jpg

IMG_20231006_162238.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2

• Paul S changed the title to Bitsa 50s style Precision, some quality parts, unfinished project, 3.5kg Huge drop to £275

Looks like a lovely bass and great value. But honestly - I'm in two minds about relic-ing anyway, but this really does give the process a bad name. What's the point of taking a nice body and just crudely grinding off a couple of areas?

Didn't work out, back for sale.

Edit - but, just to mention, I'd consider parting this out.  But do please read the description, this isn't a perfect neck with regards to finish and extra tuner holes.

Edited by Paul S

On 13/10/2023 at 12:37, Paul S said:

I did the crude grinding bit :D As I said, I never got around to finishing it off.  However, it was a poor job in the first place and needs some fettling, at the least.

Apologies - I wasn't referring to this bass, I can see that you've had to just sand over whatever had been done to it. I was thinking more of various other crap relic jobs I've seen, where someone's just gone at the buckle and wrist areas for ten minutes with a cheese grater then called it a day ...

• Like 1

Just now, JoeEvans said:

Apologies - I wasn't referring to this bass, I can see that you've had to just sand over whatever had been done to it. I was thinking more of various other crap relic jobs I've seen, where someone's just gone at the buckle and wrist areas for ten minutes with a cheese grater then called it a day ...

Cheese grater... now there's an idea... :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paul S changed the title to Bitsa 50s style Precision, some quality parts, unfinished project, 3.5kg Huge drop to £275 SOLD