Why become a member? ×

Bass tuning

paulysainte

Hii every I have a question on bass tuning. I play doom metal bass and I replaced my 4 string bass strings cause they just weren't low enough so I replaced with bttm 4 from 5 string set. But dropping low b to a it gets sloppy . Wondering if i can just leave my tuning now at bdgc or is this not a valid tuning.. Ty for your time

If it works for you, I’d say it’s a valid tuning.

If you’re getting unwanted fret-buzz, intonation issues or other technical problems you may need to adjust things. Hopefully someone better qualified than me will be along to advise you. 

The tuning is valid but you need the right string for what you tune to and how hard you play. Have a look at the size of the string you have, it's probably a .125 or .130 which, in my opinion, are not fit for purpose when it comes to playing metal down in A, most likely aggressively. The tension just isn't there. I have a 4 string tuned that way and I'm using a .147 for dropped A.

The standard 5 string sets tend to go in jumps of .20 per string but, in my experience, the lower you go on a bass where the scale is the same for all 4 strings, the more you need to exaggerate the size of the lower strings.

• Like 5

@paulysainte I might have an old set of strings from Binky (my 10 string bass) hiding in some deep dark drawer somewhere... the F# would be around a .180 gauge. If I can find the old set im happy to send it to you so you can experiment with different thicknesses. 

Although I've just seen that your location is set to 'Wisconsin' so postage might need to be covered if you want them!! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

Play whatever works for you, don't worry about whether it's "valid" is that even a thing?

I play drop A# and found I couldn't get decent string tension and clarity with a low tuned 4 string even with the low four from a five string set. I now play a multi scale five string and its so much nicer to play in A# and has much more clarity on the low string.