Why become a member? ×

Bow hair hanks

knirirr

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe try a different bow maker?

I've used Marc Soubeyran previously and Andrew McGill is doing a bow for me at the moment.  I should think if Andrew can't get it no-one can! 

NB: my spare bow has white hair ...and it's ok.  Some people say it doesn't have the same grip but I can't really tell the difference once the Rosin's on. Also I note that the more expensive arcus bows (S6 to S8) have white hair...it's only the "cheap" ones ( ie my arcus S3) that have black.

7 hours ago, NickA said:

Maybe try a different bow maker?

I might well have to do that.

The reason I was looking at going to the chap who can't get the black hair is that his shop is easy to visit in person; I'm less keen on posting my bow.

Having tried black hair I do notice a better feel and tone, with fewer nasty squeaking noises.

Decent bow people are like hens teeth. We have no-one local. 

Marc Soubeyran sends you a stamped and addressed bow tube, insert bow, hand to courier, bow comes back in a few days, you keep the tube for next time.

I drove 60 miles to see Andrew McGill; tho he's also happy to do it by post.

Strange thing with black bow hair..everyone in my orchestra ( me included ) uses black, but look at a professional orchestra and they're all using white.  go figure.  On the cello, dark hair is considered low grade beginners stuff ..everyone else wants white stallion bow hair.

Touchstone Tonewoods have some bow supplies including hair. I don't know how the prices or quality compare to anyone else, but I noticed it in their catalogue.

(edit; though not black, I should have read more carefully!)

https://www.touchstonetonewoods.co.uk/bow-hair/c-199.html

Edited by Beer of the Bass

On 10/10/2023 at 21:09, knirirr said:

The reason I was looking at going to the chap who can't get the black hair is that his shop is easy to visit in person; I'm less keen on posting my bow.

Whereabouts in Oxfordshire are you? There are top bow people in Oxford.

I'm in West Oxfordshire, but I work in Oxford.
The only place I'm aware of is the violin shop on Banbury Road, but I asked them and they said they didn't deal with basses or bass bows at all.

As an aside, it's a nice shop which has been there for years. They sold the violin that I used to play at school for me.

I've used Marc Soubeyran for rehairing my viol bows, but I was able to visit him in Ludlow when I lived in Shropshire. I've also used Julian Batey in Shrewsbury for cello bow several times (I realise not convenient for OP). Cello bow rehair jobs seem to vary between about £40 to £80 

"my viol bows"

wow!  To have one viol bow is quite something; several is impressive.

if you're into early music.. wonder if you know how to move on a da gamba ( plus bow) and a baroque cello bow.  I have all those looking for new homes.

Sorry, topic drift. 

12 hours ago, NickA said:

"my viol bows"

wow!  To have one viol bow is quite something; several is impressive.

if you're into early music.. wonder if you know how to move on a da gamba ( plus bow) and a baroque cello bow.  I have all those looking for new homes.

Sorry, topic drift. 

Until recently I had a bass and tenor viola da gamba, but someone was looking for a bass, so I sold it with its bow, so now just the tenor.  

Selling options usually reduce to advertising through your regional early music forum, the Viola da Gamba Society, or the Early Music Shop. It can help if there is a viol teacher in the area.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...