Why become a member? ×

Cort Rithimic V

steviedee

On 28/09/2023 at 13:01, choob.squeemer said:

I remember reading that there were phasing issues to do with the positioning of the pickups - but then Peter Greens Lester had the same issues eh 

I wouldn't say that the Rithimic has phasing issues, nor is it to do with the positioning of the pickups. There is a noticeable mid-cut when both pickups are run together, as you would expect but it definitely doesn't sound thin or typically out of phase. I actually find it quite a nice tone for slap, albeit I never almost never use the neck pickup on my Rithimic. 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2023 at 10:17, steviedee said:

Thanks! Was it relatively lightweight?

They are very light for their size and balance very nicely. Even compared to the Palaedium, the other Jeff Berlin signature, the Rithimic is lighter. Putting it on after playing my Manne or Peavey is like strapping on a feather. 

• Like 1

On 28/09/2023 at 14:17, White Cloud said:

It's worth noting that the necks fall into the skinny category and may need a regular tweak upon the truss rod. 

The neck is Jazz bass slim but I don't think it's any different from Cort's usual Jazz style profile. I've never seen anything to suggest that it was carved to Jeff's specification. All Basses are different and wood, even from the same batch, has different qualities but I've owned mine since 2016 (I think) and I've always used .40's on it and I haven't had to adjust the truss rod once. Of all the basses I own, it's the only one I've never had to adjust (well, of all the basses I own that hand truss rods). 

In terms of being made to Jeff's specification, because it's just a modification of a Cort design I don't think there was much more to it than him specifying the pickups and hardware and choosing topwood for it. I recall that he was sent a couple of prototypes from Cort and approved them and the deal was done. Jeff did a clinic tour of China and Korea a few years ago and was given a Rithimic when he arrived which he fell in love with so he asked to keep it and had the frets ground down to suit his taste. He also has a 24 fret Rithimic custom order but I've never seen him play it. 

Jeff's not really that interested in instruments to where he would order a specific radius or nut width, for instance. I doubt he could even tell you the measurements of those on a Rithimic. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

The neck is Jazz bass slim but I don't think it's any different from Cort's usual Jazz style profile. I've never seen anything to suggest that it was carved to Jeff's specification. All Basses are different and wood, even from the same batch, has different qualities but I've owned mine since 2016 (I think) and I've always used .40's on it and I haven't had to adjust the truss rod once. Of all the basses I own, it's the only one I've never had to adjust (well, of all the basses I own that hand truss rods). 

Thanks Chris really useful information mate, really helpful!

I had the rithimic 4. It really was an odd thing...

Beautiful to look at. Then on another day a bit ugly and weird.... 

Sounded good but didn't have a great deal of personality or thump to it. 

Playability was great. 

They are very very good basses though. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2023 at 18:49, Chris2112 said:

In terms of being made to Jeff's specification, because it's just a modification of a Cort design I don't think there was much more to it than him specifying the pickups and hardware and choosing topwood for it. I recall that he was sent a couple of prototypes from Cort and approved them and the deal was done. Jeff did a clinic tour of China and Korea a few years ago and was given a Rithimic when he arrived which he fell in love with so he asked to keep it and had the frets ground down to suit his taste. He also has a 24 fret Rithimic custom order but I've never seen him play it. 

Jeff's not really that interested in instruments to where he would order a specific radius or nut width, for instance. I doubt he could even tell you the measurements of those on a Rithimic. 

I am sure he still got specific spec preference in instruments, even if it might be true that he is feeling them, rather than knowing specifically what they are, as you wrote yourself:

On 01/10/2023 at 18:49, Chris2112 said:

Jeff did a clinic tour of China and Korea a few years ago and was given a Rithimic when he arrived which he fell in love with so he asked to keep it and had the frets ground down to suit his taste.

Also there's a reason he fell in love with that bass specifically, which I am quite sure was playability rather than looks and tone, since he had both the looks and the pickups changed on his signature version.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash