Why become a member? ×

Thunderfunk amps

tubbybloke68

Hi all, my two gigging heads are a tecamp puma 900 for a clean signal and a genz streamliner 900 when I want a bit of ‘grit’ so to speak.can someone please tell from their experience if a TF 750 would bring anything else to the party I haven’t already got, apart from weight/size of course. I use barefaced bb2 and super midget cabs, very rarely together I might add. Thanks in advance for any insights. 😊

One word... 'Heft'!  

Straight off I'll set out that I have owned (inc the Puma and a small version of the Genz) amps with digital power units, hybrid valve/class D, full valve, class A/B and I've never considered that any class D amp has delivered the authority of a good solid state amp.  

The Thunderfunk 550/750 will not give you 'overdrive/distortion', its focus is a good solid tone which it delivers in spades.  If you are able to A/B them, I'd defo advise seeing if the core tone suits your taste but as for bringing anything extra, I don't think it will if you are happy with what you have.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thunderfunk are great amps, but not exactly found on every street corner. If you want that old school solid state heft (and who wouldn't?), a decent preamp plus powerful PA power amp is one possible option. Before I went Class D/lightweight, I used a BBE pre plus bridged QSC 1850HD and it had a truckload of slam. I still remember it fondly, but the lightweight stuff is so much easier to schlep at my advanced age.

• Thanks 1

I have owned a Genz Streamliner 900 but not a Puma.

Also, my Thunderfunk is a 550 not 750. Still, it’s my favourite amp of all the ones I’ve owned. The sound is sweet and solid but clean.

Whether it would bring something for you is a question I can’t really answer.

Anyway, I hope this helps you a little.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your help everyone,I managed to scratch the itch courtesy of the lovely Chris b on here and we a/b’d his thunder funk with my puma 900. It is undoubtedly a quality piece of kit no doubt about it but like someone said the core tone didn’t jump out at me enough and in fact made me realise that for the moment I’m very happy with what I already have. The puma is a remarkable little beast, and it’s re enforced why it’s been my main gigging head for the last 6/7 years. 
Thanks again Chris if you read this , ‘twas a real pleasure to meet you and for your kind offer. Basschat is indeed a wonderful community 😊

• Like 3