Why become a member? ×

Warwick Basses Sunset Inlays

P-T-P

So I acquired MB1's Bleached Blonde Thumb bass yesterday. It's a cracking bass and the photo didn't do it justice.

However, as I was looking at the sunset inlays on the fretboard, it occured to me that the sun doesn't set that way. To explain, from the nut down, the inlays show a mountain with a sun in the top right. As you move towards the bridge the sun drops down and to the left until it disappears behind the mountain.

Am I missing something? Does it set that way in the Southern hemisphere? I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but I can't ever see it coming down in the sky that way.

[quote name='ped' post='50541' date='Aug 25 2007, 12:42 PM']It rises in the East and sets in the West - also the reason why southpaws were frowned upon in times past![/quote]

Thanks for that professor lol

I'll take some pics, might explain what I mean better.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='50539' date='Aug 25 2007, 12:32 PM']...To explain, from the nut down, the inlays show a mountain with a sun in the top right. As you move towards the bridge the sun drops down and to the left until it disappears behind the mountain... ...Does it set that way in the Southern hemisphere?[/quote]

Yes, it would do that in the very far South. In the Northern hemisphere at noon the sun is in the South, therefore it rises from the South East, to the left, and sets in the South West, to the right. In the tropics it moves directly overhead at the height of summer therefore the left/right thing switches and isn't very clear anyway.

Alex

[quote name='P-T-P' post='50539' date='Aug 25 2007, 12:32 PM']So I acquired MB1's Bleached Blonde Thumb bass yesterday. It's a cracking bass and the photo didn't do it justice.

However, as I was looking at the sunset inlays on the fretboard, it occured to me that the sun doesn't set that way. To explain, from the nut down, the inlays show a mountain with a sun in the top right. As you move towards the bridge the sun drops down and to the left until it disappears behind the mountain.

Am I missing something? Does it set that way in the Southern hemisphere? I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but I can't ever see it coming down in the sky that way.[/quote]

Perhaps the sun is rising at the 22nd fret and setting at the nut?! :)

Either way - the bleached blonde is IMHO the best of the Warwick Limited editions, and you've got yourself a stunning bass.

[quote name='finnbass' post='51098' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:59 PM']That's clearly a faulty bass. I'd ask for a full refund :)

Mine looks like this...should I also lose sleep?

[/quote]

That's an amazing bass - If you do leave sleep over it I'd be happy to take take it off your hands!

Okay, so the southern hemisphere sunset I can buy, but then how do you explain the presence of the two wolves, which are a solely nothern hemisphere inhabitant?

It's totally runining my mojo.

It only makes sense if you read from the 21st fret to the nut, i.e. we're in the northern hemisphere, wolves are howling and then the sun comes up. But then they should be sunrise inlays!

Erm, do you guys not realise that at the Uk's/Germany's latitude at mid-winter the sun sets in the South-West, while in the summer it sets in the North-West. Effectively at some point in the year the sun can set anywhere behind an object.

If you want an easy explanation, then it could be a sequence of sunset between mid-summer and mid-winter (sun gradually sets more south (left).

However I still have to emphasis that the inlays get smaller: while the mountain being central and the sun on the left, therefore giving the impression that the sun moves to the left.

Clearly your inlays are inside out and I would recommend the only way to correct this issue is to deliver said bass to me.

Also when it is the right time of year, birds get confused and fly the wrong way, so the sun has to set a different way so that birds don't crash into it. If that happened it would be raining millions of birds and all the resulting feathers which are scattered about would drastically effect climate, ruin the global economy, anarchy would ensue and the streets would be filled with crazy little men in capes and pointy black hats.

Think yourselves lucky.

Edited by presoulnation