Why become a member? ×

NBD - Epiphone Korina Explorer

neepheid

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Korina.  

I know a few companies use it for guitar building, but never fails to amaze that Gibson rarely stray using it outside of the pointy models (Explorer/Flying-V/Futura/Moderne), but these are regularly two or three time more expensive than the mahogany alternatives.  I know it's supposed to be a bit harder to work with, but body-sized slabs can be had for £60+, which is comparable with mahogany.  Don't get it.

You ought to know better than to try and apply logic to anything Gibson does... ;)

11 hours ago, tauzero said:

I had a Warwick Buzzard which has the same problem as I suspect you will find with this - you can't get a stand for it. The Hercules grabber stands aren't quite tall enough. I did find a stand eventually, another grabber type one, but despite being quite expensive it was poor quality and disintegrated after a few months.

Explorer in a K&M stand, same story with the Hercules one, about an inch off the floor.  I think the best stand would be the Hercules one with the pop out back rest rather than the padded legs, but I prefer the convenience of the telescopic K&M one rather than the two piece Hercules with individual clicky holes for the height adjustment.  Also the K&M stand is smaller when minimised.

09_explorer_on_stand.thumb.jpg.db57d1352b91cd1cfc3a2e2ef5ebb406.jpg

• Thanks 1

As for mid-life crises, this bass is definitely a cost-effective option compared to a divorce, a blonde and a sports car. 

I would love to know what genre of contemporary music you are performing for this bass to be an appropriate choice. Looks great though, and I hope you have lots of fun playing it.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Misdee said:

As for mid-life crises, this bass is definitely a cost-effective option compared to a divorce, a blonde and a sports car. 

I would love to know what genre of contemporary music you are performing for this bass to be an appropriate choice. Looks great though, and I hope you have lots of fun playing it.

It's mostly country music, some folk, sometimes I play in church, the occasional ceilidh ;)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Misdee said:

I would love to know what genre of contemporary music you are performing for this bass to be an appropriate choice.

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

It's mostly country music, some folk, sometimes I play in church, the occasional ceilidh ;)

...you should see him in his Bootsie Collins gear!  😉

(Ceilidhs are something else, in the 'Shire)

Edited by sandy_r
  • Haha 1

I first saw my Korina Flying V when I was looking at an old Rickenbacker 4000 , played the V for a couple of minutes and instantly had the big grin. Bought the Ric , and totally depleted my discretionary funds I had at the time. And about a month later phoned the seller to see what had happened to the V , miraculously it was still there , and had not sold… and so I snagged it.

I play mostly in blues and roots environments , but not heavy blues rock , so I was curious as to what the reaction might be. As it turned out most felt it was cool as hell.

Some may find the sight of an old geezer in jeans and high tops playing a Flying V pathetic , I’m totally ok with that , and don’t really give a #*%!.  

I love the cheesy thing. Enjoy! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Well, surprise, surprise, this bass also loathes our rehearsal room.  Time to get the copper tape out once more!

11_explorer_copper1.thumb.jpg.c15e0c47e6e5de474084e4e6e6fee305.jpg 12_explorer_copper2.thumb.jpg.3fa54c9e65bd7dfb1d46836638f02251.jpg

Then I lifted the pickguard and my patience evaporated.

13_explorer_copper_ach_bored_now.thumb.jpg.fa25b3c4edcffa1812d30d27cb88ac09.jpg

Yeah, I'll come back to this :)

Newsflash: 'Global copper shortage causes buzz on Stock Exchange'!

...those pickup cables look thin - are they shielded co-ax?!?  (...any copper in the pickup cavities?)

17 minutes ago, sandy_r said:

Newsflash: 'Global copper shortage causes buzz on Stock Exchange'!

...those pickup cables look thin - are they shielded co-ax?!?  (...any copper in the pickup cavities?)

They do appear to be co-ax, yeah.  They're not that thin close up, certainly a lot thicker than individual pickup wires.  A lot of wire involved in a pickup switch AND individual volumes - probably turns it into a very fancy antenna.  I haven't got as far as removing the pickups yet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rayman said:

Ever since seeing Chris Glenn with one in the 80s, I’ve often wondered if I should try one.

Saw him live with MSG.

Into the Arena bass solo with his 3-pickup explorer. I wanted an explorer since that day! 

• Like 1