Why become a member? ×

Mr

MikeC-Horndean

Dear Sirs,

I am a bass guitarist (Fretless Jazz) with 13 piece Jazz Band. Need clarity, depth, power, volume.
Have old Trace Elliot GP11 - no longer good enough and too heavy at my age! (Note: Have Ashdown spare Head Amp but will buy new high tech 500W - 1000W head amp as required to suit new speaker cabs.)

I will soon add an Ibanez UB840 Double Bass into the band and must have speaker cabs to manage this too. 
For compactness & light weight, I was considering:

Hartke Hydrive HD112 300W Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet - 200W-349W
1 X 15". 483 x 381 x 406. 35Hz-17kHz.
+
Hartke HyDrive HL210 500W Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet - 500W-749W
2 x 10". 371 x 612 x 383mm. 50Hz-17kHz

Total: 700W-1098W

However, I have just come across bad reviews on BassChat for Hartke. Then I found Bareface Audio.

My car boot has a depth limit of 400mm, but I can use a van if I really have to. Objective is compact / lightweight / hi-tech / reliable Cabs/Speakers with the most amazing tonal range / depth capability to underpin a large band.

Can Bareface meet my specific requirements? Or would you guys recommend an alternative make? 

Many thanks-Mike

You want reduced weight, reduced number of cabs, more tone and enough volume. . . . check out Barefaced.

I run 700 watt Aguilar amps into Barefaced cabs and I've never gone over 11 o'clock on the master volume even in the loudest blues rock band I play in.

• Like 1

I’ve only seen one Barefaced cab , they are not common here in NS. I talked a friend into buying it , Herself thinks I have enough cabs. She’s ok with me bringing home amps or basses , but no more cabs.

So when one popped up for sale on kijiji and a friend asked me what I thought of Barefaced , I told her to grab it. She runs a Darkglass Microtubes 500 head with it , it’s a gorgeous rig. I use Bergantino cabs , and am a bit of a Bergie fanboi but I felt the Barefaced cab was equally good. A tad smaller , a couple of pounds lighter. 
I was very impressed. 
And that Darkglass head is a beauty too.

I played an outdoor festival on Sunday evening. We were last band on. I arrived as the band before us started playing. I parked in the street outside the venue and was impressed by the sound of the bass. It had plenty of depth, tonal range and clarity and was loud. As I was behind the stage, much of what I heard had to be coming from the rig, not the PA. I walked round the front of the stage and the guy was using a Barefaced Big Twin and an Ashdown ABM500. Very impressive. So yes, BF will do definitely what you require, imho.

I play bass guitar in a big band. Ive done the Barefaced thing, they are good, but I now use GR Bass aerotec cabs, they are even lighter and sound is brilliant. I use a 2x10..600watts mostly with the big band. I use either Mesa d800 or d350 amp. I also have a Grbass 112H cab. Ive used both cabs with the big band once in a large venue.

Really worth taking a look at these cabs. I haven't used gr amps so can't comment on them.

On 03/09/2023 at 17:35, MikeC-Horndean said:

Dear Sirs,

I am a bass guitarist (Fretless Jazz) with 13 piece Jazz Band. Need clarity, depth, power, volume.
Have old Trace Elliot GP11 - no longer good enough and too heavy at my age! (Note: Have Ashdown spare Head Amp but will buy new high tech 500W - 1000W head amp as required to suit new speaker cabs.)

I will soon add an Ibanez UB840 Double Bass into the band and must have speaker cabs to manage this too. 
For compactness & light weight, I was considering:

Hartke Hydrive HD112 300W Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet - 200W-349W
1 X 15". 483 x 381 x 406. 35Hz-17kHz.
+
Hartke HyDrive HL210 500W Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet - 500W-749W
2 x 10". 371 x 612 x 383mm. 50Hz-17kHz

Total: 700W-1098W

However, I have just come across bad reviews on BassChat for Hartke. Then I found Bareface Audio.

My car boot has a depth limit of 400mm, but I can use a van if I really have to. Objective is compact / lightweight / hi-tech / reliable Cabs/Speakers with the most amazing tonal range / depth capability to underpin a large band.

Can Bareface meet my specific requirements? Or would you guys recommend an alternative make? 

Many thanks-Mike

i used to have a hd112 (its a 12' not 15') was really happy, but was to small for my needs, have played on  gig with someone using BF and it sounded great but it was a Big Twin so more comparible for me wit an 810/215

i would also say if you look hard enough you will always find bad reviews in particular in forums where if one thing fails for said person the whole brand is bad, i guess it depends on your budget as a BF cab is a pricey thing to get and not like? just to through another name in the hat Markbass could be worth a shout.