Why become a member? ×

New Old Nostalgic Bass Day.

Franticsmurf

New bass day, courtesy of @KingPrawn of this parish. Thank you, sir, for this beautiful Hohner 'The Jack'.

TheJack.thumb.jpg.8f3fc494de52f4b42e5e0a304e074728.jpg

Back in the day, when I was just starting out in the bass playing game, my first 'proper' bass guitar (i.e. not borrowed and not without a recognised logo) was a Hohner 'The Jack' headless bass. At the time I was under the impression that 'normal' basses looked too big on me, having seen a diminutive bassist with a local band wielding a Jazz bass that made him look like a child. Headless seemed ideal and I bought it from a mate who was playing bass in one of my favourite local bands at the time. 

A decade or so later I was taking a sabbatical and sold most of my bass gear, including the 'Jack'. By the time I returned to the bass game (sooner that I thought) I realised I'd let go of a really nice bass and looked in vain for another example. I ended up with a Spirit headless and later, having overcome my self image dilemma, a Precision and a Sterling MM. But always in the back of my mind was 'The Jack'. I kept an eye out but there were few sightings, and many of those were in Japan. There have been a few in the for sale thread here, but they have coincided with a drought in the bank account. Until a couple of weeks ago.

P5130018-2.jpg.174b0666979285b32e3892c7f4a496e8.jpg

As you might be able to see in the band photo (taken in the late 90s), my 'Jack' was a sandy coloured guitar and had been de-activated (or the active electronics weren't working). I think my new one looks better with the darker natural finish.

• Like 11