Why become a member? ×

Are Ampeg Svt 3 pros gutless

danbanbass

Hi guys,

It’s been a while….

I’m currently using an Ashdown ABM 500 Evo head through a route master 6x10 cab.

Love the cab and the power/grunt of the Abm but I’m not completely in love with the character - a while ago I borrowed an Ampeg scr di which sounded good but the di was noisy/high pitch low volume squeal so I never bought one.

Which leads me to this, I love the Ampeg character/punch they deliver and I’m contemplating on whether to keep the Ashdown and purchase the new Ampeg SGT Pedal or sell the head and get an Svt 3 pro.

They only thing that’s holding me back is I keep hearing/reading how gutless the svt 3 is.

What has other peoples experience been?

For context I play rock/alternative stuff with an ash bodied musicman stingray.

Cheers

I had one, never found it lacking, though did find it a rather awkward sized amp to cart about - especially when racked.

Re the SCR-DI and the high pitched squeal I’ve read - and experienced- that this occurs when power is insufficient, batteries low on juice or a PSU that is split to too many pedals.

Hi I’ve owned both and the new SGT pedal 

The SVT 3Pro has got power but you need to push the graphic EQ sliders to get close to the rated 450w but it still feels lacking 

The SCR-DI is nice but I didn’t like the Scrambler at all. The SGT is an amazing improvement but I sold mine as it still lacked a certain something. 
Enter the Genzler 4 on the floor pedal and that is in a different class as it retains your bass and amp tone but adds a fantastic light to medium drive as required. It’s best bit is the adjustable HPF and LPF which make it a fantastic sounding pedal 

Personally I would keep the Ashdown and put a pedal in front of it .. even a basic TC Spark Booster makes the ABM come alive 

In addition the RM cabs are ok but a better 212 cab like the SVT212AV would blow away the RM series played loud. Lovely tone from the SVT212AV and closest to the 810 in a small package 

I sold all my Ashdown cabs even the more expensive ones as the Ampeg was better in every way apart from the weight ! Worth it for the sound and rated 600w 

Edited by BassAdder60

I had a Ampeg SVT Pro 3 and i loved it, and definitely not gutless, arguably my fav live bass tone I had for the sound I was after at the time little boost before it and it was offfff proper chunky and warm as what you want from an Ampeg. Would own one again in a heart beat if I had the space/cash.

• 5 weeks later...