Why become a member? ×

How light is too light

BassAdder60

I’ve found that my plucking hand technique is at its best when I play with a very light touch and especially with faster playing ( think Iron Maiden ) 

Got me thinking about how light is too light ? Am I losing anything in tone by not digging in ( from the bass point of view  not the amp ) 

A good indicator is your amp inputs gain led ( or Ashdown VU meter needle ) 

When I play with the band I do have a tendency of digging in more which I guess is down to volume or desire for more !

Do you guys pluck lightly or more heavy handed ?? 

I found that I get a better tone from picking very lightly, more so stroking the strings, with a very light inward "slapping" motion with the very tip of my finger pads/very edge of my nails, but as said rather stroking than really striking or plucking the strings.

It does require some practice to get the precission needed to do this properly though.

But if anything you loose potential dynamic range by plucking/striking the strings too hard.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I play with a light touch and a low-ish action. I stroke the strings. I find it less tiring, gives me and extended dynamics via a better range of plucking techniques and better timing/accuracy.

Dig if you want to, but for me playing hard doesn't improve anything.

On 25/08/2023 at 11:15, Baloney Balderdash said:

I found that I get a better tone from picking very lightly, more so stroking the strings, with a very light inward "slapping" motion with the very tip of my finger pads/very edge of my nails, but as said rather stroking than really striking or plucking the strings.

It does require some practice to get the precission needed to do this properly though.

But if anything you loose potential dynamic range by plucking/striking the strings too hard.

And more specifically on topic:

You pluck too light if there's too little power to get the strings to vibrate and sustain properly, that said this, at least if you pluck with the precision required, happens at an almost ridiculous light touch which would be very obvious. 

Of course you should however also pluck sufficiently precisely, which is probably of even greater importance for a proper result than the mere force you pick with, and with sufficient force, so that there is still dynamic space to go quieter and lighter without the above example happening. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash