Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 610hlf change grill cloth?

maidens97

I’m looking at picking up an Ampeg v4b for a new band, I like the idea of pairing it with the 610hlf but the mismatched grill cloth would irritate me. Does anyone know where I could get a AV grill made for the 610? Otherwise I will just pair it with the matching 212av.

Edited by maidens97

Forgive my curiosity but where would you play that would need a 6x10 and a 2x12? That's a lot of driver area and only 100W to drive them.

Are you saying that the grille cloth on the 6x10 doesn't match that on the V4B?

Edit: BTW we have a Grimsby over here in Ontario. It's a bit south of Toronto on the way to Niagara Falls. :D

Edited by BassmanPaul

1 minute ago, BassmanPaul said:

Forgive my curiosity but where would you play that would need a 6x10 and a 2x12? That's a lot of driver area and only 100W to drive them.

Are you saying that the grille cloth on the 6x10 doesn't match that on the V4B?

think he means if he cant change the cloth he'll just use the 212 to match the head not both cabs

1 minute ago, 0175westwood29 said:

think he means if he cant change the cloth he'll just use the 212 to match the head not both cabs

I see it could be read either way. LOL

However it would be easier, faster and cheaper to change the grille cloth on the amp itself.

8 hours ago, 0175westwood29 said:

Apologies, English may be my first language but I’m still terrible at it hahah. This is indeed what I meant. I’d like to have the 610 match the v4b grill cloth. If that’s not possible then I’d ditch the 610 and use the 212. I’d never use both at the same time haha

• Haha 1

Not used them, but I would perhaps contact Noisy Hammer.  https://www.noisyhammer.com/

Based in Norwich and although they mostly make cabinets I think that they would probably take an order for a custom grill cover. 

Though when using a 6x10, a mismatched grill doesn't bother me as much as the sheer difficulty in loading it in and out of a car and venue (I own a Mesa Powerhouse 6x10 which is just a silly weight). Just for practicality I would consider the 2x12 option before a 6x10.

I guess my question is, never having been in the presence of the 6x10 in question, how is the grille frame held on? Some have tabs to allow the grille to be pulled off the Velcro holding it. Some are screwed on from the inside others the cloth is attached ti the baffle itself. It makes a difference in whether the cloth change is even possible.

The grille is just velcroed in to place. Mine is buried in a lockup but I'm pretty sure the piping is stapled to the frame around the sides. 

Pop the staples out of the piping, rewrap with new grille cloth, staple piping back on and you have a nicely matched cab!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1