Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day #2 - Washburn XB925

bass_dinger

I mentioned in my previous post that I was looking for an XB925, and found two in Hungary.  

I bought the intact one - here

However, the seller had a second one, in bits but complete, apart from three items.  A saddle for the low B string.  A positioning screw for the tuner. The truss rod.

The previous owner tells me that the two-piece neck had twisted, and he had removed the neck, and fretboard, and then the truss rod.   Steam the neck, twisted it straight, dropped a length of hardwood in there, glued it in, and waited for the neck to reset into the shape of the hardwood insert. 

However, he tells me that it didn't reset, and instead twisted back to where it was.

So, he offered me the bits - swamp Ash body, flame maple cap, two Bartolini pickups, and all the hardware, including what may be a Gotoh bridge and set of machine heads - for a low price.  

I said yes, and now have a project that is beyond my capabilities!  However, I am pleased that I agreed to the second bass, if only to save it from being broken for parts.

When I opened the case, it was like that moment when one finishes a box of Milk Tray chocolates,  and you then realise there is a second layer to enjoy!

Photos of my own to follow, but for now, I will share the seller's snaps.

@AndyTravis

I like the idea of putting some colour on the body - more than putting some Danish oil on it, which was my original plan. 

As for the neck, I have three options. 

1. Buy a twin truss rod, get a friend to route the wooden centre block out, and rebuild the neck myself. 

2. Get a local luthier to build a neck for me ,  at around £1,000.

3. Go to the person in America who designed the XB series. He still makes custom basses, and has the exact specifications of the original necks. He offered to make a new neck for $400.

I was concerned about CITES certification if I had a rosewood fretboard.  A maple fretboard may not cause an issue, however. 

I was also wondering whether to make this one into a fretless bass. 

I’d speak to our very own @Andyjr1515 (or @Jabba_the_gut - or any of our amazing basschat luthiers) to see if they can make you a 1:1 copy of the neck - and add a Washburn decal from Rothko and Frost.

if you ever sell, include the original neck so you’re not hoodwinking anyone with the decal?

looks a lovely body.

very jealous

7 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I was concerned about CITES certification if I had a rosewood fretboard.  A maple fretboard may not cause an issue, however.

This was an issue few years back. My understanding of the current situation is that an instrument with an ordinary rosewood is not under CITES. Of course, if you try to use some rare, CITES controlled wood, that's another story.

Papers do no harm, but the super strict times should be gone. A much bigger issue is furniture. Many exotic woods are used to tables and chairs, and it seems that their market is in the far east. One tree gives hundreds of fretboards, while a big table, well, you do the maths.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

1. Buy a twin truss rod, get a friend to route the wooden centre block out, and rebuild the neck myself. 

2. Get a local luthier to build a neck for me ,  at around £1,000.

3. Go to the person in America who designed the XB series. He still makes custom basses, and has the exact specifications of the original necks. He offered to make a new neck for $400.

Yes - as @itu points out above, a CITES exemption came through at the end of 2019 in terms of most commonly used species of rosewood used in guitars, including parts and accessories.  Also, there are plenty of dark wood alternatives that most luthiers can use. 

$400 for a neck made by the guy who designed it - grab it.  It generally costs me well over $200 just for the wood!

Oh - and two truss rods won't sort a 'naturally twisted' neck.  The only thing worth trying would be planing the joining face flat and straight - but, as you can imagine, that has it's own challenges and consequences ;)

And the third option - £1000 to make a neck???  Really???  Did he/she have a royal 'By Appointment to...' crest? :lol:  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

Go to the person in America who designed the XB series. He still makes custom basses, and has the exact specifications of the original necks. He offered to make a new neck for $400.

This, quick, before he changes his mind!