Why become a member? ×

Brittle sounding tone using IEM’s

James901

Hey,

My current band is in the process of switching to IEM’s and doing away with the backline.

I’m using the LD Systems MEI100 G2 wireless system as well as some KZ IEM’s from Amazon. My bass runs into a SansAmp Bass Driver DI and then straight to the desk. So far, the sound is brittle, thin and lacks any low end whatsoever. I’ve tried to EQ every way possible using the SansAmp but nothing is working. The strange thing is is the SansAmp sounds fantastic when recording using my Mac and the IEM’s sound great when listening to music playback. In a band situation it all sounds a bit rubbish when put together.

How can I emulate the sound I get from my Orange Terror 500 using this setup? I’m used to a full fat tone when playing live with heaps of low end. Is this even possible with IEM’s? 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 

I use the same LD wireless system and KZ IEM's and have no lack of bass response so it could be a dodgy sealon the IEM's as acidbass says or maybe a cable wired out of phase, perhaps? Or possibly the Sansamp, which is pretty deep and bloated in the lows, IMO, but has no real low (or any other!) midrange as such so that could possibly be the issue in that there's not a lot of useful audible (rather than sub) bass coming from it for the KZ's to reproduce? Have you got access to another preamp you could try with your setup to check if it is the Sansamp that's the issue? 

• Like 1