Why become a member? ×

Tiny Tone Scratchplates

Frank Blank

Having bought myself a Fender JMJ Mustang because @Osiris made me, I decided a nice tort scratchplate would be just the job on the black bass. I simply Googled 'custom scratchplate' and the top hit was a company in Manchester called TinyTone. I did a search on Basschat and couldn't find any TinyTone content so I had a good mooch around their site and decided to give them a shot. They have an excellent and thorough Custom Scratchplate Request Form, loads of different materials, completely custom options, the lot. So, I filled in the form and sent it on 7th Aug, I received a quote on the 9th Aug. I packed up my spare white pearl scratchplate and posted it to them, emailing them back on the same day with the go ahead. On the 11th Aug I sent additional instructions asking them not to drill the holes for the thumb rest and tug bar, they replied the same day saying no problem. I received the invoice on the 15th (they take payment before commencing the work), paid by bank transfer and bosh, the two new scratchplates and my original arrived today.

I have to say the service and comms has been faultless and the products themselves are top notch quality and exactly as I specified. Small boutique companies like this doing a bang up job need support, so here's mine. Cheers TinyTone, top notch.

Now I've just got to decide which I like better...

TTSP.thumb.jpeg.84a09d03e44d5f3445a997bca7803bd2.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

a company in Manchester called TinyTone. I did a search on Basschat and couldn't find any TinyTone content 

Same company (or same person) as Jack's Instrument Services - I've only ever seen good feedback here, and I too was really happy with the pickguard he cut for my Yamaha BB.

Photos of the Mustang with the new pickguards...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jrixn1 said:

Same company (or same person) as Jack's Instrument Services - I've only ever seen good feedback here, and I too was really happy with the pickguard he cut for my Yamaha BB.

Photos of the Mustang with the new pickguards...?

Well, it is going up for a full set up in a week or two, once I've decided which scratchplate I'll get it put on then, once it's back, photos ahoy.

I employed TinyTone's services recently with similarly efficient and pleasing results. Amongst its laundry list of problems, my Harley Benton PJ5's tort guard started to spontaneously delaminate (if you can even call it that.. it's see-thru tort-patterned sticky-back-plastic on a weird orange top surface) so I sent them the peeling mess and they posted me a nice b/w/b replacement. Wouldn't hesitate to call on them again.

• Like 1

I've used both TinyTone and Jack's Instrument Services extensively, and both with excellent results (the two companies are closely connected and co-located).  Living in Manchester, it's just a short hop over to the workshop, though as far as I know, access is by appointment only now - it used to be a walk-in operation.  Strongly recommended, great materials, choice and product from TinyTone, and Jack's work is exemplary.  These aren't the cheapest operators in the market, but if you want quality, this is usually a little more expensive.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...