Why become a member? ×

Flats on a Yamaha NE2?

dclaassen

Okay, hear me out…

I have just started working with a very good country/Americana band. My MPV. 5 with Elixers does okay, and is a real joy to play, but does not offer the tonal range of the Yamaha. However, for this group, rounds sound really out of character. Ideally, I want a traditional flatwound sound, but with a bright edge. I like a lighter B string….125 seems to be about right.

I always appreciated the ability of a good active bass to make adjustments on the fly.

Suggestion…given the parameters above?

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Thomastik JF344 flats

The perfect flat. Lots of low end but a really nice punchy high on top. They last forever and feel like your favourite slippers. 

Sounds good, but that .136 B is heavier than I want

26 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Sounds good, but that .136 B is heavier than I want

Regardless of the gauges, the Thomastiks are very supple-feeling. I've never tried a five string set, but the four string set is very elastic. I expect the B string is consistent with that feel. 

I think the NE2 would sound superb with flatwounds on. If you want a slightly more clunky tone than the Thomastiks then have a look at La Bella Low Tension flats. They have a 110 B.

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

I happily play all styles, including a lot of Americana, with a PJ5 with TI flats and a 5 string Jazz with Dunlops. IMO there are no downsides to fat strings as long as they are a good make.

If the bass has good pickups TI flats will make it sing.

I also put a lump of foam under the strings, to maximize the thump.

Edited by chris_b