Why become a member? ×

Wide range humbucker

Dazed

Any recommendations for a replacement one of these? Think Fender Telecaster more than Gibson Ebo mudbucker. 
Recently been listening to a band and the bass player used, I guess, an original 70s Tele bass. Love the almost fuzzy sound. 
I’ve seen a few original pickups for sale but I’m not about to drop £4-500 on an old pickup. 

So, anyone come across a modern manufacturer making a decent copy - not just a similarly shaped pickup?

I know a bit more about the guitar versions as used on the Deluxe and Thinline Teles in the 70s than I do about the bass version.

What made the Wide Range pickups unique was the use of CuNiFe magnets rather than the alnico usually found in Gibson PAF type humbuckers.

From a guitar point of view although they've since developed a bit of a cult following they weren't actually very popular at the time because they were lower output than their Gibson counterparts.

Until very recently Fender only used the CuNiFe pickups from 1971 to 1979. 

After that although they kept the Wide Range humbucker name and split pole piece pickup cover styling they were actually using alnico Gibson PAF style magnets in their humbuckers.

In the last couple of years Fender have again started making Deluxe and Thineline Teles with CuNiFe magnets and those pickups are also available as an aftermarket part.

At the moment there's no Fender branded bass version, but, when the Vintera ii series leaked a few weeks ago there was a Telebass with a neck humbucker in the new range so it's just possible that a new Fender Wide Range CuNiFe bass humbucker may be on the way.

I have had a quick google search and I couldn't find any other pickup manufacturers that are making a CuNiFe Fender style bass humbucker, but that's not to say that there are none out there.

Good luck with the search and fingers crossed for a Fender reissue inline with the recent Wide Range guitar pups.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1

I’ve had original guitar versions on vintage Telecasters and I own the ‘not correct’ versions on modern Telecasters, I actually prefer the modern versions, they’re a bit more versatile.

But for bass, I’ve played original Telecaster basses with wide range HB’s in which are fairly mudbucker-y and I’ve also played a handmade parts-bass with a Curtis Novak wide range humbucker and that sounded excellent, absolutely monstrously ballsy. I briefly wondered about getting one for my Mustang, but then I saw the price... oy vey!!! 😮😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Roger Phillips said:

Blimey, the last time I heard of CuNiFe was when I replaced all the brakepipes on my car- originals were all mild steel I think.

Roger

Yep. I replaced the brake lines on one of my cars with Kunifer 10. Good stuff. Easy to work and bend neatly. Just googled it and it's still available.

• Like 1