Why become a member? ×

Eden World Tour WTDI Preamp Pedal; analogue or digital?

Bornin1980something

Firstly, this is not a complaint about the product. I have an Eden World Tour WTDI Preamp Pedal (the current Gear4Music model, with the on-off switch) and it seems to be working quite well for my church playing. That said, I do like to know at least something of how my equipment works. I have searched a lot and I can't find any confirmation as to whether it is an analogue or digital device. I admit, I was hoping it would be an analogue device, but its current price of £79.99 seems a bit low for a true analogue device with that much functionality.

Well, seems like I've answered my own question. The Gear4music site allows you to filter pedals by analog or digital. The Eden WDTI Preamp only appears among the analog results. 

https://www.gear4music.com/bass-guitars/effects-pedals/preamp 

Interestingly, my Beringer BOD400 overdrive pedal, which I always assumed was digital, is also listed among analog results in its category. https://www.gear4music.com/bass-guitars/effects-pedals/overdrive

I don't understand, how does it minic valves so well with just a cheap solid state circuit? 

I always found it kinda ironic that all my playing career I was trying to get away from the distortions I was getting from my tube amplifiers. It took me a while but eventually I succeeded in sounding like a bass and not a low tuned guitar. LOL

Edited by BassmanPaul

Back in the Sixties in my Telephone days there was a triple Darlington circuit that was supposed to monitor a line and engage a relay if a phone was lifted. It didn't work!  I realized that the ACY17 Germanium transistors had far too much leakage to ever work. I sent in an Electrical Change Order to Head office suggesting a silicon substitute and they agreed and provided BFX30 to replace them. I was left with a whole bunch of these ACY17s. 

I built a fuzz box for my guitarist of the time and he loved it. I think that I might still have a few of them in my stash of gash semiconductors. LOL

• Like 1

It's all analog.

And the Behringer BDI21 bass preamp, which is less than half the price of the Eden preamp, is all analog too, and might I say a great one that that too.

On 07/08/2023 at 21:11, Bornin1980something said:

Interestingly, my Beringer BOD400 overdrive pedal, which I always assumed was digital, is also listed among analog results in its category. https://www.gear4music.com/bass-guitars/effects-pedals/overdrive

I don't understand, how does it minic valves so well with just a cheap solid state circuit? 

The answer is it doesn't.

Doesn't sound like valve distortion at all, and is actually a pretty horrible distortion pedal, better distortion pedal though still than overdrive, as it is otherwise supposed to be.

Not that it is expensive to build a great one, and not that a lot of these cheap, all analog, Behringer pedals aren't actually genuinely great as well.

It seems you somehow have gotten hold of the wrong end of the stick with this topic.

My guess it that bloated top brand prices might be the cause of this?

Even if do remember that development costs money too, actually building stuff not so much, and certainly not today where most of the manufacturing  process can be handled by machines and easily mass produced.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash