Why become a member? ×

Short scale strings.

Dazed

7 minutes ago, Dazed said:

So I have the short scale now, it’s I’m utterly filthy so I’m currently giving it a good scrub and fumigating it. 

Its fitted with small tuners, so that’s going to cause me problems with flats i guess?

Short scale flats should be ok (assuming your new one doesn’t have through body stringing).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dazed said:

I was looking at some short scale EB Cobalt flats earlier

Yeah, I’m looking forward to those being readily available, as that’ll stop me having to customise long scale ones for my Hardly Bent-one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazed said:

So I have the short scale now, it’s I’m utterly filthy so I’m currently giving it a good scrub and fumigating it. 

Its fitted with small tuners, so that’s going to cause me problems with flats i guess?

Might do, but you might also be surprised too. On my mini P, I had to drill into the split shafts slightly to get the La Bellas in but they’ve been in for a decade now. On my Hofner violin bass I had very little choice of strings as the tuner holes were ridiculously tiny, it was hard to find anything other than special Hofner (or Hofner sized) flats that would fit it. 

• Like 1

Those small tuners can be a misery if you don’t have the exact length of string.
Some flats will break if they are wound too tight. It will start with separations in the wrap … and then the big “pop”.

Is this an older bass ? It seems most modern short scale basses have a larger post.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msb said:

Is this an older bass ? It seems most modern short scale basses have a larger post.

Im not sure when it was made. I’d estimate it’s in the last 10-15 years. 

Just put on elastic bands, no one cares about bass anyway, and neither should you! :i-m_so_happy:

On a more serious note, this is a quite clever solution for those who got a preference for specific flat wound strings that doesn't happen to come in a short scale version, which, unlike hex core roundwounds, won't react well to being cut to size.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash