Why become a member? ×

Cable Tester - Behringer CT100

Stub Mandrel

I bought one of these as I am sorting out a PA and many of my existing leads are elderly.

It has a great, simple display that shows a cross for a good XLR lead/balance jack lead and a line for a good unbalanced Jack lead. It also has three LEDs taht light if you cause an intermittent fault by 'jiggling' the connector or wires. It also has a sturdy, if rather retro, plain steel case. You can see some other functions such as various level test tones etc. Unfotunately it doesn't contain a 'test cap' for installed cables, but these can be made simply by commoning all the pins in a suitable socket/plug.

preview_2.jpg

I think it's paid for itself already! I tested several existing leads, made up some new ones and modified others.

Not only did it help me find a few intermittent faults caused by solder blobs shorting to earth or over-long shield connections and helped me thin the herd of old jack-jack leads by spotting the dodgy ones, it's revealed my own incapacity for soldering XLR leads by instinct rather than checking the pin numbers...

So i say if you make your own cables or have lots and sometimes have issue, get one of these for the price of a couple of high quality leads.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

That's a CT100. It has that nice handy display that shows you what's connected to what.

The CT200 is a different kettle of fish. Microprocessor controlled, it scans the connections and tells you what's what.

ct200c.jpg

More connection types than the CT100. CT100 does XLR, mono & stereo jacks, RCA phono, and MIDI. CT200 does the above, plus USB (type B only though), Speakon, 3.5mm mono/stereo jacks, and RJ45 ethernet cables. If you're testing jack-jack mono cables, it shows a ring to ground short, which is logical.

• Like 1

• Stub Mandrel changed the title to Cable Tester - Behringer CT100
2 hours ago, tauzero said:

That's a CT100. It has that nice handy display that shows you what's connected to what.

The CT200 is a different kettle of fish. Microprocessor controlled, it scans the connections and tells you what's what.

ct200c.jpg

More connection types than the CT100. CT100 does XLR, mono & stereo jacks, RCA phono, and MIDI. CT200 does the above, plus USB (type B only though), Speakon, 3.5mm mono/stereo jacks, and RJ45 ethernet cables. If you're testing jack-jack mono cables, it shows a ring to ground short, which is logical.

OOps! It does do 3.5 jacks, but Speakon would be handy.