Why become a member? ×

New Lusithand Alma Mark 2 Compressor

Osiris

Lustihand look to have updated their highly regarded Alma compressor to a new version - Alma Comp. MKII - Lusithand Devices

@Ander87 very generously let me have a play with his mark 1 version a few weeks ago and it was a brilliant little compressor, and I say that as someone who doesn't usually like optical compressors :lol: So assuming the new version does all of that and more it'll no do prove to be popular. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Just got one of these.

I've got a Diamond Bass Comp (old one) that I love. The tilt eq is great for passive basses and I love the pop the compressor adds to the beginning of notes. But I don't love the 12v reverse power socket, side jacks, size etc. It doesn't work great with my active basses, tending to sound a bit fuzzy and fluffy.

I wasn't sure that the Alma would have the same character as the Diamond, but I needn't have worried. It can do that and way more.

First off, Nuno was very helpful, responding to emails even on a Sunday evening. He assembled and posted the Alma within hours of the final go-ahead and it was with me by tracked post the next day.

The Alma v2 ticks all the boxes - parallel compression, different ratios (the Diamond is like 2:1, but the 8:1 on the Alma is surprisingly useful especially when blended), 9v, top jacks. 

It doesn't have a side-chain filter, but I don't think an opto compressor really needs one. The Alma seems to handle B string notes without blowing out, unlike the Diamond.

Side by side, the Diamond EQ goes slightly deeper than the Alma, but I don't think that's a problem, the Diamond could sometimes get boomy at the full anticlockwise/250hz setting.

The Alma works great with my active basses. I really like blending just a little bit with the eq boosting at 900hz to give a bit more presence for a rocky pick sound.

Last night I ran it on my board with a Cali 76 Compact Bass, and switched between a passive p bass and an active 5 string jazz. I used the Alma to balance the level and tone for the p bass and give a little extra compression. The Cali was doing fairly modest compression too, I trust the sound engineer. The Alma sounded fab.

I may run the Alma on its own tomorrow without the Cali to see how it works out. 

Nuno kindly made me one with a chrome enclosure (the others have always been white). Looks stunning under lights.

Definitely worth checking the Alma out if you're looking for an opto compressor.

• Like 1