Why become a member? ×

Flats uurrggg

I have tried those labella black nylons but didn't like anything about them, sound or feel so stuck them on my acoustic bass guitar only because they are not clattery like the bronze strings. 

This summer i thought i would try a new set of D'addario chromes for my 4 string with P style pickups to see how that fared. At the moment they are kind of ok but no wow factor in the sound compared to my usual prosteels. I'm going to save judgement till i get a chance to gig with them or do a rehearsal so i can check how they are in context with a band. But i can't see me moving to all flats anytime this century. 

I realise this is quite out of character for a BC regular, but after saying all the way back in late July that I wouldn't be buying any more flats, I ended up buying some more flats.

I spotted a comment somewhere about EB Slinky cobalt flats being 'flats for people who don't really like flats' or words to a similar end, and I thought that sounded like me so I should give them a go. I put them on my US Pro Jazz V and it turns out they feel a bit weird (though in a way I don't actually mind) but they sound rather good! As long as they don't corrode easily or change too drastically in a tonal sense, I could actually see them being on for a while.

At this point all my basses are strung with flats:

Fender Jaguar Bass - Sadowsky flats - my favourite flats - I hope they last because they don't make them any more and I only have 1 new set left

Frankenbass - made from deceased Fender CS, Warmoth, Seymour Duncan, and Bass Centre bits - Rotosound Tru-Bass black nylons

Epiphone Jack Casady semi-hollow - Pyramid flats

Epiphone Viola fully hollow - also Pyramid

Bach Non-Reverse Thunderbird - Rotosound Jazz Bass - this was my bass for rounds as it's good for distorted hard rock, but in the end I caved and put on the Jazz which has a similar twang that's just as good but feels like what I'm used to and prefer

Edited by Agent 00Soul

• 3 weeks later...

I'm on the fence with flats as they don't suit all of my basses.

Precision bass with flats - great. They are La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass. I used to have Rotosound flats but not my cup of tea at all.

Mustang bass with flats - yes it sounded good, but in a totally different direction to how it sounded with rounds on, and ultimately it wasn't a sound I had much use for, so went back to rounds.

Yamaha BB604 - came with D'addario Chromes which sounded lovely - flats but bright and loud, though too heavy for me. Now wears D'addario NYXLs which suit it perfectly.

I hear you, but did you consider this fact: Flats are actually more truly round of shape than rounds!

Shocking I know, but totally changed my perspective 380 degrees, and I have now come full circle, still spiraling out to where I've never been, before...

My point being, who cares about points, in the end we are all just circling a hot potato, chasing our own tails, and what not...

simpsons-hat.gif

Edited by Baloney Balderdash