Why become a member? ×

MIDI Bass Effects

nightsun

I’m after recommendations for multi effects pedals that can be controlled over midi. Specifically from the BandHelper app on an Android tablet. The Zoom B1 four looks good, mentions USB midi, but can’t see any mention of it in the manuals.

So you intend to have a single patch for each song, selected when you load the "crib sheet" for that song?

That should be fairly straight forward. AFAICS BandHelper supports sending MIDI program changes. The only possible issue I can see is that MIDI over USB is not a peer-to-peer protocol like traditional MIDI over DIN leads, but requires a controlling host device. So long as your tablet meets this criterion and you have the correct lead to connect the two together it should work. 

What's your budget?

I'm a Helix user. I bought the full Helix Floor on the assumption that if I went for one of the lesser models, there would be something missing from it that I needed. Both my bands run automated backing tracks from a laptop and I have 1 Helix Preset per song with up to 8 Snapshots within that to cope with all the various effects and tonal changes that I require for each song. All the Preset and Snapshot changes are automated so I don't have to worry about being in the right place on stage to hit a footswitch at the correct moment - one song has sound changes every two bars. Also I use some MIDI CC commands to do things like filter automation. The Helix Floor has both convention MIDI Din sockets and MIDI over USB and seems to work fine by either method. The only caveat to this is some other MIDI devices are not happy about receiving program change commands via the MIDI thru socket of the Helix when the Helix itself is being controlled via MIDI over USB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nightsun said:

Budget not an issue (cheaper the better of course), just looking for options and where to start.

the hx stomp or boss units are very popular the hx more so, cant say ive used any of the Zoom stuff. for me having access to all the boss effects is nice ( digital versions but basically they sound the same) space echo, dimmension chorus pitch, also the crazy routing options make it worth the little extra

17 minutes ago, nightsun said:

I like the zoom stuff, can’t find anything about using them with midi though.

I think the zoom stuff has been hacked into so it can be controlled via midi but its not designed to be in the way helix is 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, nightsun said:

just seems its a simple database kinda thing to load new sounds in not so mush for use like midi, you might be easier going for a unit that can use midi like you want without hacking

42 minutes ago, nightsun said:

I've just had a look at the B1 Four manual and there is absolutely no mention of MIDI. The USB port appears to be for powering the device or using the editing app on a computer. In fact AFAICS none of the Zoom Bass Multi-effects have MIDI functionality. The B3n mentions MIDI over USB in the specification, but absolutely no mention of how this works or what MIDI commands are received or transmitted is mentioned in the manual. 

Unless the hack actually works and you are happy doing it, I'd be looking elsewhere for multi-effects with MIDI facilities.

20 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I've just had a look at the B1 Four manual and there is absolutely no mention of MIDI. The USB port appears to be for powering the device or using the editing app on a computer. In fact AFAICS none of the Zoom Bass Multi-effects have MIDI functionality. The B3n mentions MIDI over USB in the specification, but absolutely no mention of how this works or what MIDI commands are received or transmitted is mentioned in the manual. 

Unless the hack actually works and you are happy doing it, I'd be looking elsewhere for multi-effects with MIDI facilities.

A couple of members here (including me) looked at controlling Zoom pedals over USB. Those were DIY projects though.

For plug-and-play, you want something like HX Stomp and a way of transmitting your program changes via DIN MIDI.

• Like 1