Why become a member? ×

SLB-100 vs 200

With respect to the two gentlemen who are selling these EUBs on here at the moment, I’m wondering if someone can tell me the difference between them. Looking online the 100 seems to be larger and more DB-like, but I can’t glean much else. I’m playing a 3/4 size db and I’m tall (6 3). This isn’t a hypothetical… I’m very interested in getting a Yamaha slb. Oh, and I’m 98 percent a pizz player … jazz, ‘gypsy’ jazz etc.. thanks

I've owned both twice each!!! 100 feels more like a double bass to the hands and body, 200 sounds more like a double bass to the ear and amplifier. Both are beautifully engineered, I doubt there are better EUBs in the mass(ish) production space, nearly all of the boutique or bespoke instruments I've played have felt very poorly built by comparison. 

If I were going to buy another it would be the 100, but it would be a close call as the 200 is way more portable

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That indeed could sharpen a prospective buyer's mind Lawrie 🤔

Richard is a thoroughly lovely chap and we’ve done a few deals, just thought it was worth mentioning. 

Think I had your old SLB Chris. Was a beautiful thing and that’s what I need now for practice. My aluminium bass is the love of my life but too loud when the kids are asleep!

When I’ve picked up the SLB, you’re more than welcome to give it a try Richard if you’d like?

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Richard is a thoroughly lovely chap and we’ve done a few deals, just thought it was worth mentioning. 

Think I had your old SLB Chris. Was a beautiful thing and that’s what I need now for practice. My aluminium bass is the love of my life but too loud when the kids are asleep!

When I’ve picked up the SLB, you’re more than welcome to give it a try Richard if you’d like?

Thanks, much appreciated. I love my acoustic bass, but getting to and from gigs is becoming a pain. 

I've owned neither but played both for a bit. The 100 is fairly bulky. If you already own an acoustic bass and you're purchasing with portability in mind you may be surprised at how large the SLB-100 is when packed down, although yes of course it is smaller than an acoustic.

This is all moot if the 200 you had your eye on is no longer available, but I thought I'd throw it in here just in case it's useful.

8 hours ago, chyc said:

I've owned neither but played both for a bit. The 100 is fairly bulky. If you already own an acoustic bass and you're purchasing with portability in mind you may be surprised at how large the SLB-100 is when packed down, although yes of course it is smaller than an acoustic.

This is all moot if the 200 you had your eye on is no longer available, but I thought I'd throw it in here just in case it's useful.

My teacher calls it bass bingo… it’s when you’re carrying the DB across the car park and a punter says a) “have you got a body in there?” b) that’s a big violin or c) bet you wish you’d learned the flute. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, bassace said:

Or if you’re asked ‘How do you get that under your chin?’  You sweetly reply ‘By keeping my f*****g mouth shut’.  Then be prepared to run if you’re small. Or old.

Love this…. Hard to run with a DB though

On 14/07/2023 at 19:24, Burns-bass said:

I would love to give it a go…