Why become a member? ×

Alternatives to Warwick/MEC concentric knobs?

simisker

Does anyone know of any aftermarket stacked/concentric knobs which could be used to replace some Warwick/Framus/MEC knobs?

To fit 4mm upper /  6mm lower pots. That's not standard, apparently.

EDIT for latecomers: they also need to be gold and metal.

Edited by simisker

No, I've got a bass with a Noll preamp which has these 4mm/6mm Warwick knobs.

They're good quality, but externally chunky, so when you have 4 of them on a Jazz control plate it doesn't leave much room for fingers.

To improve the user experience for fat-fingered me, I was hoping that I'd be able to find some narrower replacements - like the John East ones on my ACGs, for example.

But all I can find are ones that use the 6mm/8mm 'standard' inner measurements.

Edited by simisker

I need gold ones, but yeah, here they are too:

https://www.banzaimusic.com/gotoh-dome-knob-cc-gold.html

These look perfect - cheers, Nige :)

While I'm waiting for them to be delivered, I'm going to book myself in on a Google refresher course :D

[ 2024 Edit: Looks like Banzai have changed the description/spec of these to 6/8mm since I ordered them :/ ]

Edited by simisker
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

An update:

I'd be wary of ordering from Banzai Music.

It turns out that they're one of those companies who will happily give the impression of having items in stock, with "Delivery in 4-5 days" in order to seal the deal and get your money. Only when pushed will they admit that they're waiting on their supplier, apologise profusely etc.

I've been waiting a month thus far; the only timescale I've been given was "hopefully in the coming days", which was over 2 weeks ago.

Thankfully I'm not in a rush for them, but still: not particularly impressed with Banzai :/

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

An update in Jan 2024 [!] ...

After 6 months of waiting, with no communication unless chased but them having my money all that time, I ran out of patience and cancelled my order with Banzai.

I did receive a prompt full refund - probably the only positive interaction I had with this company.

I won't be using or recommending Banzai Music again. Live and learn, eh?

So... anyone know of anywhere else that sells/makes/machines these unusually specced knobs*?

* yes, yes - johnpeel.jpg, etc

@neepheid Them's the ones. They're good knobs on Warwicks or other through-body control setups, but 4 of them on a J control plate is a bit of a squeeze.

I don't think those Allparts ones fit, from memory [it's been a while now!]. And I'm looking for gold ones, because I'm a shallow magpie.

Some useful paths of investigation there, though. Thanks both 🙂

Of course, there's always the nuclear option: replace the Noll preamp with another 4-pot solution. Hmm... 🤔

Edited by simisker

I think you're going to struggle - most concentric knobs are a bit tubbier than single ones by design and function.

Don't you get converter rings to put inside 6/8mm knobs to turn them into 6/4mm knobs, or did I dream that somewhere?

Finding slimmer concentrics isn't a problem; it's getting them to fit the shafts - the John East concentrics on my ACGs are noticeably slimmer [and in my opinion, nicer to use] than the Warwick ones, for example.

Converters or sleeves could be an option - but I haven't found any yet.

I can't even swap out the control plate + pre-amp to another manufacturer - For example, John East is having trouble sourcing gold hardware, Audere don't ship out of the US, and Lusithand don't do gold at all.

I guess I'm stuck with what I have, then. Who would have guessed that swapping some knobs would have been such a palaver? 😄

Anyway, it was only a small quality-of-life improvement, so no biggy in the scheme of things.

That's also an option, I suppose. Not much of a maker, but in the immortal words: how hard could it be?

Actually, giving it a moment's thought: I'd need to account for the side-mounted screw fixing system, for one thing.

Yeah, it's already getting beyond my skill/effort/reward equation :D

Edited by simisker

On 17/01/2024 at 21:43, neepheid said:

Make your own out of some 1mm thick metal?

This^^^^

I’ve used the alloy from a standard ring-pull can and wrapped a suitably sized piece around while jamming the ends into split shafts. Are your pots solid shaft?

15 hours ago, tauzero said:

http://knobshop.com/Concentric-Aluminum-Knob-lined-black-anodized perhaps?

Who'd have thought there was a shop just for knobs?

Thanks :) but that site feels dodgy AF. Not secure, no shop/contact address... big fat nope.

2 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

This^^^^

I’ve used the alloy from a standard ring-pull can and wrapped a suitably sized piece around while jamming the ends into split shafts. Are your pots solid shaft?

If the bass was a Squier or something, then yeah, maybe... but it's a £2k+ Marusczyzk. I'm feeling guilty just typing the words "Jamming" and "Ring-pull can" while in the same room as it.

Full Macgyver points, though, fair play. I'd definitely want to be locked in an outbuilding by goons with you :D

• Haha 1

Hidden deep within the ToS, eh? Right next to the sign that says "Vorsicht vor dem Leoparden!"? 😉 I think I'll pass. Me and German online retailers aren't getting on at the moment.

Anyway, it's moot - they don't have what I want. Ta once again, however :)

Edited by simisker
Correcting some German. I think. I could be making it worse.

Can't you just cut a small slice of aluminium tube?  

Are these the right sizes?

8mm OD 6mm ID: 

xcrM4fLl.jpg

6mm OD  4mm ID :

xpaiBGCl.jpg

You would probably find that the knob grub screw puts enough pressure on the ali to hold the knob tight and so not have to drill a hole.  If not, then thin aluminium is pretty easy to drill (easier to drill first and then cut the slice off)

• Like 1