Why become a member? ×

Hipshot Xtenders

Rick05

Hi,

Apologies if this has been covered before but wanted to ask about bass xtenders and have a newbie question as Iv never had experience with them.

Recently my band have started writing with the low A and A# and wondered if a single bass xtender can drop down twice, at half a step down each time? Or can they only drop once?

Thanks

Rick

Hipshot do a double extender stop that you have to buy as an additional part and then retrofit to a normal Bass Extender. You should then get two drops and be able to tune each to your needs. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Muppet said:

Hipshot do a double extender stop that you have to buy as an additional part and then retrofit to a normal Bass Extender. You should then get two drops and be able to tune each to your needs. 

That’s awesome thank you so much. 

so I need the Hipshot xtender for one drop and then the additional component todos second drop?

1 hour ago, Rick05 said:

That’s awesome thank you so much. 

so I need the Hipshot xtender for one drop and then the additional component todos second drop?

Yeah,  you buy the additional part and replace the part on the original extender with the new part and hey presto, you have a two stop lever. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Muppet said:

Yeah,  you buy the additional part and replace the part on the original extender with the new part and hey presto, you have a two stop lever. 

Thank you so much, that clears it up a lot! 

11 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

You need to consider the string tension on a regular E string that is expected to drop to lower than a 5 string's B string... it'll be flopping like a floppy thing!  

From the OP it sounds as though they are wanting to drop a low B down to Bb and A.

However as someone when is very sensitive to changes in tension on my strings and find standard low B strings far too floppy even when tuned to low B, I'd check that I was happy with the tensions by tuning manually before committing to some quite expensive hardware.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

From the OP it sounds as though they are wanting to drop a low B down to Bb and A.

However as someone when is very sensitive to changes in tension on my strings and find standard low B strings far too floppy even when tuned to low B, I'd check that I was happy with the tensions by tuning manually before committing to some quite expensive hardware.

Ah OK, I was reading it different as you'd easily drop a B down to A# or A with a regular extender; you'd not need to drop it twice to get from B to A.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Ah OK, I was reading it different as you'd easily drop a B down to A# or A with a regular extender; you'd not need to drop it twice to get from B to A.  

Thanks for the comments.

Just to clarify I’m dropping the low b string to A# and then A for different songs. Iv got a Dingwall combustion and it handles the low tuning beautifully. I recorded the songs in the studio manually tuning down and it was fine. I’m now looking to streamline tuning down from B to A live.

I think for the moment I’ll just buy the xtender and then just play the song in drop A# in A for now. Then if it gets annoying buy the double drop lever.

• Like 1

You should be fine for the double stop level for doing that.

It's a bit trickier changing mid-song with the double stop than the regular lever. Back when we used to do "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, I started the song in regular tuning, then dropped the E to D, then again to B for the chorus and back up to D again for the verse just for the hell of it and because I am a massive show off

• Like 1

On 13/07/2023 at 21:20, Delberthot said:

You should be fine for the double stop level for doing that.

It's a bit trickier changing mid-song with the double stop than the regular lever. Back when we used to do "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, I started the song in regular tuning, then dropped the E to D, then again to B for the chorus and back up to D again for the verse just for the hell of it and because I am a massive show off

Sounds perfect. I think I’m going to stick to one stop for now as I’m not sure getting a double stop for semi tone changes would work well