Why become a member? ×

Japan

Dazed

Yes. I've bought several basses from Ishibashi (U-Box) without any problem. They are geared up for international sales and handle everything well. Other Japanese sellers can be reluctant to deal with foreigners and may totally ignore you as a result. Don't forget that you will need to pay VAT and import duty on the combined price of the bass and shipping. Add 25% to the cost of the instrument and the shipping price and you won't have any nasty surprises.

Also I have sold and shipped a bass to Japan, again with no issues. I didn't do anything different to shipping a bass anywhere else. Pack it up with plenty of padding and if you don't have a hard case, double box it. For international shipping I always use a courier service that will be the same company both here and in the country I'm sending to, such as UPS or FedEX. It costs more but IME it's always more reliable. Remember to tell your buyer that they are responsible for any import taxes.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Yes. I've bought several basses from Ishibashi (U-Box) without any problem. They are geared up for international sales and handle everything well. Other Japanese sellers can be reluctant to deal with foreigners and may totally ignore you as a result. Don't forget that you will need to pay VAT and import duty on the combined price of the bass and shipping. Add 25% to the cost of the instrument and the shipping price and you won't have any nasty surprises.

Also I have sold and shipped a bass to Japan, again with no issues. I didn't do anything different to shipping a bass anywhere else. Pack it up with plenty of padding and if you don't have a hard case, double box it. For international shipping I always use a courier service that will be the same company both here and in the country I'm sending to, such as UPS or FedEX. It costs more but IME it's always more reliable. Remember to tell your buyer that they are responsible for any import taxes.

Good luck.

@Dazed, Yes I have bought a few from Japan over the years and BRX's response saves me typing. 👍

I've not used Danny's service, but Bass Japan Direct not only has a great stock but will also seek out specific instruments for you in Japan! https://dannymstewart.com/index.html 

(I bought mine either from Ishibashi or a private collector's shop)

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chrisbass13 said:

Actually never shipped one to Japan...but many stores will ship to Europe and overseas. You could try www.digimart.net or https://buyee.jp. Also there is Danny from Bass Japan Direct that has his "bass hunter service" where he will track down a bass and have it shipped to you (of course for a fee, but its not too bad). 

ahh, sorry, you already mentions Danny! 

Oh, I meant to say - my last bass, I decided in my infinitely daft wisdom to have shipped... literally... by ship.. four months out in the cold winter weather. Yes I saved a packet on the cost, but the risk on reflection, was pretty high. That said, the bass arrived perfectly as described and only needs a little fret dress! Not exactly unusual for a secondhand instrument despite its journey! 

Edited by Dood
  • Like 1