Why become a member? ×

Fender input jack issue

alexa3020

I was at rehearsal last night and I noticed my bass was intermittently cutting out. So I started mucking about isolating the signal chain on my pedalboard to see if I could figure out the issue. Nothing seemed to work consistently so I went straight to the amp from the bass - it was fine.

Tested all my cables and pedals today and everything working. Checked the input jack on my bass and noticed the cable can unseat itself ever so slightly - can sit 2-3mm back from flush against the input socket. This can be done with a gentle tug on the cable.

Maybe this is the cause of the problem?

So I thought I'd adjust the input jack, I'm use to this:

image.png.53aea68a098479d3de157ef2a20b5631.png

But what I have is this

Screenshot_2023-07-08-14-43-17-902_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.991594fbbff75c57a3a7ecfc7bd0ad0a.jpg

I was hoping I could adjust the sprung section so it sits correctly. But I can't get to it without unsoldering the wires - which I really don't want to do. I don't even know if I'll be able to fix it by adjusting it. Do I get a new one fitted instead?

Any help or advice most welcome

Cheers

Alex

Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure it's the same thing (unless I'm misunderstanding - which is definitely possible!). The nut that holds the input jack in place is tight and does not come loose. It's the way the cable sits in the input jack appears to be the problem

Carefully push the spring of the jack socket that is supposed to connect to the tip of the jack plug inwards so that it will grip the jack plug tighter, sounds like the tip spring of the socket might have been pushed a bit outwards and become sloppy over time, this should fix it, if I understand your issue right.

Edit!!: Just noticed the last part of your post, and yes, this type of jack socket along with the barrel type ones tend to eventually fail, even higher quality ones, replace it with a regular simple one of proper quality, like a Switchcraft, much more reliable, and if they fail, which they are not really prone to like those other types of jack sockets, it is usually a simple easy fix.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 3

What type of fender do you have. The same thing happened to my Precision Elite. The black jack input is a stereo one for active basses. I had to buy a new one which cost me £26 from a seller in France. 

Supposedly the Switchcraft stereo jack inputs are more robust and easier to fix if they go wrong.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Its a fender jazz ultra, so yes sounds very similar to the problem you have had

I think my problem started when I didn't use an angled jack. When I sat down and played the straight jack would catch on the seat.

The Fender Jack inputs are difficult to find and expensive compared to the Switchcraft ones.

Here's an interesting topic on the problem with the Fender stereo jacks I found on Talkbass.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/active-jacks-simple-vs-complicated-why.1120994/

Edited by gjones
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

Interesting. If I'm understanding correctly I'd need to get a like for like replacement otherwise the battery will be on constantly.

That's what I did and it's working fine now. I just make sure I use angled jacks from now on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

Interesting. If I'm understanding correctly I'd need to get a like for like replacement otherwise the battery will be on constantly.

It doesn't need to be like for like (and personally I would generally recommend an open Switchcraft rather than an enclosed or barrel jack) but it does need to be a 'stereo' jack.  The spare terminal of the stereo jack socket is used to connect the battery circuit when you plug the jack in. 

A stereo Switchcraft looks like this:

w1DwSC7l.jpg

You solder the black battery wire to the extra tab (which is attached to the shorter of the two springs), the 'hot' to the tab attached to the longer of the two springs and the earth to the tab attached to the socket centre.  Then, when the jack is fully inserted, the signal is sent to the jack tip, the earth is connected to the jack shaft - and the battery earth is also connected to the jack shaft, switching the battery on.

• Like 3

On 08/07/2023 at 19:09, alexa3020 said:

As explained above you just need a stereo jack socket, and I too recommend the one suggested above.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2