Why become a member? ×

Vintage (brand) unlined PJ fretless (V940FL)
£180
Exeter

RaNoFuNkY

Selling due to impending car bill.

Up for sale is my Vintage (brand name) Fretless - although I bought it from new ~18 years ago, so perhaps it's on its way to being "vintage". It has some genuine thumb wear over the P pickup from years of use.

Let me be clear - I love this bass. These punch far above their price point. I've used this for gigs and two albums. I will really miss having it around, and I often grab this instead of my Stingray fretless, which is 10 times more expensive, but not 10 times better.

If you're looking to get into fretless playing, then this would be a good bass to consider. Active treble and bass, plus pickup option and master volume. I believe the body is Bubinga. This certainly gives a nice low, rounded thump when you need it. 

It was mostly used with flatwounds, but I put some VERY old roundwounds on it as an experiment during COVID as I had them lying around and was curious. I liked that sound, so they are still on there. This means that there is a little amount of fretboard wear from the roundwounds, but not much and certainly nothing to worry about. I have tried to picture this as best I can.

I've priced this in line with how others have previously, and consider this a bargain. Postage would be about £20. I don't have a hardcase, but can use a gig bag + bubble wrap + decent box.

20230702_165131.jpg

20230702_165137.jpg

20230702_165150.jpg

20230702_165208.jpg

20230702_165214.jpg

• Like 5

I have purchased the same bass for my Youngest Son (15) as he wanted a fretless, unlined, 2 octave... and he loves it... Bubinga Body is a little weighty but lovely wood, neck n fretboard. Think his is a year earlier as the 'Vintage' logo goes along rather than across.

I think Hardware and Pups are Wilkinson.. latter years had the logo on the pickups...

My Son has a Q... what are the albums, as he wants to listen to more fretless... any links

GLWS

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 19:50, PaulThePlug said:

I have purchased the same bass for my Youngest Son (15) as he wanted a fretless, unlined, 2 octave... and he loves it... Bubinga Body is a little weighty but lovely wood, neck n fretboard. Think his is a year earlier as the 'Vintage' logo goes along rather than across.

I think Hardware and Pups are Wilkinson.. latter years had the logo on the pickups...

My Son has a Q... what are the albums, as he wants to listen to more fretless... any links

GLWS

Can we pretend the albums were Paul Young's "No Parlez" and Paul Simon's "Graceland"?

50% discount to any baschatter that vigorously spreads this rumour...

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

As an ageing bassist (who sold his fretless last year.... then joined a band who might benefit from some FL bass.... doh!) any idea what the weight of this bass is?
Also, what are the markings like on the edge of the neck? Could you take a pic? Thanks

• 1 month later...