Why become a member? ×

MIJ 57 RI Precision E Serial queries

Pow_22

Ive had this bass for a few years now and is my main and most favourite P bass.  I know that MIJ/CIJ basses often have chequered history in as far as body material, pups and even serials can be hard to date.  This example has an E serial number and very luckily also a clear pencil neck date - 16th December 1985.  It also features the larger plated tuners more commonly seen on 70's style USA Fenders (not the reverse style that would be more in keeping with a real 57/58).  I do still have what appears to be the original plain white pickguard also

Ive been told that the E number and also the presence of the larger tuners suggests this one should be loaded with US pups rather than the ceramic Japanese ones from later dates.  I *THINK* the body is alder but i do know from searching online that some of this period are also basswood.

Ill try and get more detailed pics particularly of the pickups but would be interest if anyone else has one similar or if anyone with more knowledge than me could chip in any more about the lovely early Japanese basses.  There seems to be an increase in value of these also (not quite to JV levels though!) so i may also need a steer on value when i renew my instrument insurance

IMG_4774.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4775.jpeg

IMG_4777.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 4

Cheers @Reggaebass some useful information there.  Mine differs slightly in that it has the period correct decal as opposed to that one on the thread.  When i get time ill try and get a pic of the pups and maybe pop the neck again to check for any further codes/stamps

IMG_4778.jpeg

• Like 1

Pup shot. Definitely seem alnico rather than ceramic (thats sponge on the bottom not a bar magnet). There a brass plate under the pickups too.  Will report back with neck pockets pics

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

Pup shot. Definitely seem alnico rather than ceramic (thats sponge on the bottom not a bar magnet). There a brass plate under the pickups too.  Will report back with neck pockets pics

IMG_4779.jpeg

IMG_4780.jpeg

Hey mate. What a lovely bass. I’m a fan of anything Japanese lol. 

On the bass. Looking through the Japanese catalogues. You had a top tier model which end mostly in 95 (PB57-95). And a model just lower ending 75 (PB57-75). This represented how much they cost. Both had large tuners. 

the top tier would have us electronics and pick ups. Some also a nitro finish. Basses which have been well kept still has the circular sticker at the back of the headstock regarding the model number. 

The PB57-75 didn’t have us pick ups. 

I’ll copy the catalog of the year of this back in here. 

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fenderjapan/1985/en_index.html

not sure how to tell if the pick ups are us made. 

funny how I have gathered this info solely on trying to source a top tier MIJ bass lol. Had no clue before 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love this range of MIJ basses, they're among the best I've played - particularly the US versions. The necks, frets and pups are just great!

As others have said, the larger tuners point to this being a US model. The other tell tale sign is the bridge - the US versions have spiral saddles like yours whereas the export models have barrels. If those pups are original then they'll be US too and there should be a stamp on the neck/body that confirms this. 

As well as Fender catalogues, this site is pretty handy....

https://japanfender.wordpress.com/products/about/precision/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, soulstar89 said:

Hey mate. What a lovely bass. I’m a fan of anything Japanese lol. 

On the bass. Looking through the Japanese catalogues. You had a top tier model which end mostly in 95 (PB57-95). And a model just lower ending 75 (PB57-75). This represented how much they cost. Both had large tuners. 

the top tier would have us electronics and pick ups. Some also a nitro finish. Basses which have been well kept still has the circular sticker at the back of the headstock regarding the model number. 

The PB57-75 didn’t have us pick ups. 

I’ll copy the catalog of the year of this back in here. 

https://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/fenderjapan/1985/en_index.html

not sure how to tell if the pick ups are us made. 

funny how I have gathered this info solely on trying to source a top tier MIJ bass lol. Had no clue before 

Cheers for that, very informative!  Ill pop the neck soon and see if there is more history under there.  Whilst i dont think mine is nitro the paint has certainly sunk into the grain a little and in the right light has an almost 'dimpled' effect.  Hard to describe and even harder to picture!

Edited by Pow_22

7 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I love this range of MIJ basses, they're among the best I've played - particularly the US versions. The necks, frets and pups are just great!

As others have said, the larger tuners point to this being a US model. The other tell tale sign is the bridge - the US versions have spiral saddles like yours whereas the export models have barrels. If those pups are original then they'll be US too and there should be a stamp on the neck/body that confirms this. 

As well as Fender catalogues, this site is pretty handy....

https://japanfender.wordpress.com/products/about/precision/

Hmmm, interesting.  The US ones seem to have larger plate tuners but seem to be reverse or certainly long stem vintage style.  Im wondering if mine are original?  Certainly seem it but neither of the models in that catalogue seem to match 

So with my works systems being down today you may have realised i have a lot of spare time on my hands 🤣. Ive popped the neck…..interesting!

Seems this is a PB57-55 looking at the neck stamp.  The pocket stamp is prettt indeciferable seems 3TS for three tone sunbust which i strange as mines a 2TS 🤣 

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

So with my works systems being down today you may have realised i have a lot of spare time on my hands 🤣. Ive popped the neck…..interesting!

Seems this is a PB57-55 looking at the neck stamp.  The pocket stamp is prettt indeciferable seems 3TS for three tone sunbust which i strange as mines a 2TS 🤣 

IMG_4782.jpeg

IMG_4783.jpeg

This is interesting as below 75 models the bodies are basswood. That to me doesn’t look like basswood. 

Also models lower than 80 have non spiral bridges and smaller tuners ( gap between timber is noticeable) 

if it feels great to you, which it sounds then it doesn’t really matter right? 

• Thanks 1