Why become a member? ×

What a difference a setup makes…

EssexBuccaneer

I’m guilty of being a bit lazy. Well, a lot lazy, if I’m being honest. it wasn’t uncommon for me to ignore the bass (or guitar) for days/weeks on end because I couldn’t be bothered to get the amp out, uncoil the leads, get everything setup to practice, and have to put it all away after a session. 

However, since I joined my band I obviously need more discipline. My saintly wife has sacrificed a corner of the front room to have a wee practice area, and I now have a lovely setup, wireless rig, a 3-guitar stand next to the amp which is always ready to go. I can be playing in under 2 mins. 

What a difference it makes having a dedicated little practice spot. Well recommended if you don’t already.

• Like 4

When I first started playing for various reasons I got into a habit of mostly practicing unamplified.

These days I have my practice rig permantly set up and ready to go at a flick of  switch in the spare room, but I still quite often just grab one of the basses/guitars scattered around the house and just start noodling without plugging it in.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2

I've got various instruments leaning in corners and stuff around the place, that I can pick up whenever,  I also will Twang at them unplugged sometimes. When plugged in I'll mainly run into a multi fx thing or small mixing desk whatever and use headphones, I've also got an old Zoom Mrs recorder thing that's got lots of drums on to play along with, again with headphones. 

I reckon it's a good plan to always have instruments easily to hand that you can pick up and play without too much faffing about. 

• Like 1

When I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting a story about a revelatory truss rod adjustment or something!

The Epiphone Jack Casady is a good lazy person's bass - it's loud enough unplugged to play along to a laptop (the speakers of which generally suck the bass out of things anyway).  Done that many a time when I cba with ampage, the sessioncake or even plugging in the USB interface and headphones.

• Like 4